Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
meat lamb beef vegetables chicken organic goat eggs ethical

Organic meat & vegetables
Does anyone know where we can buy ethically reared (possibly organic)  meat - Beef, sheep, goat  chickens, eggs etc?

Prefer free range animals running around in the sunshine - we see plenty of goats miles from anywhere so they could be ethically reared!

Organic vegetables are a scary price here in the supermarkets - do any farms have farm shops?

We are in Caleta, so ideally local if possible.

Thank you in advance
3 users say Thank You to geordiediver for this post
Reply Quote
I can't answer 'organic', but have you tried the Saturday morning market above the bus station in Puerto? (not sure if on at moment due to COVID, perhaps someone else can confirm?)

Not so local, but La Oliva has a produce market on (I think) Tuesday and Thursday mornings. (again, check COVID ....)

Not suitable for a weekly shop  Big Grin but Tetir Craft Fair, when it's on, has nice local veg and fruit, may be organic ......

Fran and Chemi (IKEA industrial estate) have nice fruit and veg, although I haven't been there for a while.

The fruit and veg shop next to 5 Oceanos in Puerto also has nice stuff, some labelled organic last time I was there.

Have you thought about an allotment if you haven't got garden space? I know they have them in Puerto, not sure about Caleta.

If Tindaya market was on I could offer a banana or two or three...., after taking ages to ripen I've now got a London Bus situation!

I can't offer any guides to prices on any of the above - I've stopped looking - if I want nice fruit and veg I just buy it, life is short and I'm not spending Money on lots of other things at the moment! (Just my garden  Wink🤣 )
Living my dream
6 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(22-02-2021, 11:28 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: Not suitable for a weekly shop  Big Grin but Tetir Craft Fair, when it's on, has nice local veg and fruit, may be organic ......

If it is on we never fail to buy F&V there despite the fact that we would have done the weekly shop the day before Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

Fran and Chemi (IKEA industrial estate) have nice fruit and veg, although I haven't been there for a while.

Always have to be careful here for freshness and quality but Variety is excellent, but for obvius reasons even more so now as there are litle or no hotels and restaraunts for them to supply.

The fruit and veg shop next to 5 Oceanos in Puerto also has nice stuff, some labelled organic last time I was there.

Our number one for F&V although of late and for again obvious reasons choice is a tad stricted

Have you thought about an allotment if you haven't got garden space? I know they have them in Puerto, not sure about Caleta.

Never seen any or heard of any herein Caleta.

If Tindaya market was on I could offer a banana or two or three...., after taking ages to ripen I've now got a London Bus situation!

Next time it is open Tamara

I can't offer any guides to prices on any of the above - I've stopped looking - if I want nice fruit and veg I just buy it, life is short and I'm not spending money on lots of other things at the moment! (Just my garden  Wink🤣 )

Again do not look at prices, as they are what they are additionally Spar do a very good quality range and are choice if we are not going to PR, and Lidl have a section that is I am pretty sure is all labelled organic.
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
5 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions   for vegetables.

Any ideas on meat?
2 users say Thank You to geordiediver for this post
Reply Quote
(25-02-2021, 11:08 AM)geordiediver Wrote: Thanks for all the suggestions   for vegetables.

Any ideas on meat?

There is a very good butcher in Antigua whom I know sells organic free-range chicken,we buy all our chicken there, open 10:00-14:00 and 17:00-19:00 Tuesday to Friday, at least that is what the shop signs say,  Rolleyes he also sells goat and pork we buy pork from him, and it is excellent whether it is organic I cannot say, I popped into Lidl yesterday and a section of the fruit and veg is Bio/organic, at least the one in Mattoral is.
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
5 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
That is really helpful, thank you.   Do you  know the road it is on in Antigua?   I assume it is in the town somewhere  and not out in the wilds?
I know where the church and Hipodino and the Famacia are.
Reply Quote
(25-02-2021, 03:09 PM)geordiediver Wrote: That is really helpful, thank you.   Do you  know the road it is on in Antigua?   I assume it is in the town somewhere  and not out in the wilds?
I know where the church and Hipodino and the Famacia are.

Not sure where you are coming from but pass HiperDino with it on your right then just before you get to the bakery turn right there is a pharmacy on your left and It is next door but one, has white safety shutters if he is not open.
4 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for that description but I  am still a little confused.  If I pass Hipodino on the right I pass a pizza cafe and bank.   Do I turn right then,  ie on the same side of the road as Hipodino?    Or do you mean pass Hipodino on the left?  I think  I recall seeing a pharmacy on the opposite side of the road to the Hipodino.  Really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Kind regsrds
Reply Quote
(25-02-2021, 06:23 PM)geordiediver Wrote: Thanks for that description but I  am still a little confused.  If I pass Hipodino on the right I pass a pizza cafe and bank.   Do I turn right then,  ie on the same side of the road as Hipodino?    Or do you mean pass Hipodino on the left?  I think  I recall seeing a pharmacy on the opposite side of the road to the Hipodino.  Really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Kind regsrds

Apologies it's me being an idiot you pass HiperDino on your left Smile Smile Smile
6 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for getting back.   It all makes sense now.

Keep safe and have a good day.
Reply Quote