This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
tax caution renta return

Renta/tax return - Caution!
Most will probably already be well-aware, but just a note of caution for anyone looking at the ‘double taxation’ element in completing their Renta, or tax return. The Agencia Tributaria are clamping down very, very firmly on anything they see as an infraction of the double taxation arrangement between Spain and the UK!

Although my tax position is relatively simple, I’ve always used an asesoría to complete my tax return, for peace of mind. They advised from the start that they could offset any tax paid in the UK against that due in Spain under the DT agreement, and I was obviously happy with that. A few weeks ago, however, I received via my electronic key a long letter from AT concerning my Renta for the 2019 year, basically telling me that this was an incorrect use of the DT agreement, and that as a resident of Spain I should arrange to cease paying UK tax, and pay in full in Spain. I read up on it - it had been a niggling worry anyway - and yes, I could not argue with the point being made. I agreed to pay (and have now paid) the several €K difference due, and completed the form for the Inland Revenue to cease UK tax and reclaim back-tax, hopefully. Still waiting to hear if they have received my application by mail!

At this point my asesoría ceased responding to my calls and emails, and I can perhaps see why. I’d hoped the matter with AT was now closed, but no. They’ve written again with what is basically a hefty fine for ‘my’ mis-declaration. I can’t really argue or appeal it, my submission was incorrect, and I can pay the sanction/fine. I just want warn anyone who may be in a similar position NOT to use the double taxation provision in this way, and to ensure they are getting good professional advice from their asesoría. My NEW asesoría clarified the position for me, adamant that the approach previously used in my submission was absolutely unacceptable.

Purely as an addendum, I’d heard one could submit the ‘Application for tax relief at source’ to the Inland Revenue via the Government Gateway. I’m darned if I could find any link to do that in the Gateway, so have had to rely on the post. If anyone has actually done it that way, I’d appreciate a steer, just in case my letter never reaches them!

Oh for a quiet life on the tax front!
7 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for the info. It would be helpful to know who to avoid for this service.
Loving it  Cool

1 user says Thank You to Pete Garyga for this post
Reply Quote
Gattaca66, thanks for the warning. I am in process of settling here as a resident and still have UK financial interests e.g property, pensions etc like many other people. I probably should have paid much more attention to the tax implications of being a UK national resident in Spain as i am only now finding out there are significant differences in UK and Spain tax systems that can leave you with an unexpected billConfused
3 users say Thank You to roclite for this post
Reply Quote
My experience but definitely not gospel.
Assuming the individual already has their Uk gateway.
Hunt down P85  and complete carefully. They will ask for your Spanish tax certificate download via electric key.
send off and wait and wait.
My first reply from HMRC never arrived here, in the end my claim was for 22 months UK tax!!
 One problem I can get sorted here is UK annuities. My assessor really messed them up.
3 users say Thank You to DavidP for this post
Reply Quote
(23-05-2021, 09:28 AM)DavidP Wrote: My experience but definitely not gospel.
Assuming the individual already has their Uk gateway.
Hunt down P85  and complete carefully. They will ask for your Spanish tax certificate download via electric key.
send off and wait and wait.
My first reply from HMRC never arrived here, in the end my claim was for 22 months UK tax!!
 One problem I can get sorted here is UK annuities. My assessor really messed them up.

I sent my forms to cease UK tax by post, and the Correos tracking system still showed it undelivered ten days after reaching the delivery office. Assuming they probably don’t get delivery signatures from HMRC, I checked via Gateway and yes, my application has been received and my case is underway. I’m praying they contact me by phone or email for any further queries. Fingers crossed, but set for a lengthy wait! Gov. Gateway, by the way, is a very useful channel which works very well in my experience, well worth setting up for anyone who has not done it!
2 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
In addition to form 85.I had to do another one called DT-Spain individual to accompany my Spanish tax cert.
Both forms are available on government gateway.
Finally spoke to a sensible individual at HMRC who confirmed that they had all my paperwork and hopefully it will be sorted by mid Dec.!!!
1 user says Thank You to DavidP for this post
Reply Quote
(06-11-2021, 06:47 PM)DavidP Wrote: In addition to form 85.I had to do another one called DT-Spain individual to accompany my Spanish tax cert.
Both forms are available on government gateway.
Finally spoke to a sensible individual at HMRC who confirmed that they had all my paperwork and hopefully it will be sorted by mid Dec.!!!

That’s encouraging! My submission went in in May this year, and the initial online monitoring system suggested it would be dealt with mid-June. That came and went, and the advised completion date changed to mid-October. After that date passed I used the HMRC online chat facility and actually had a helpful ‘conversation’ there. My case has been passed to a ‘technician’, good news apparently, and should be settled by ……mid-February! I don’t know whether to be pleased it’s still being handled, or despair that it’s running into yet another Spanish financial year. It’s not just in Spain that the wheels of officialdom turn ‘exceeding slow’!
1 user says Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
Another "chat" with HMRC .A technician is going to call me soooooon
2 users say Thank You to DavidP for this post
Reply Quote
(22-05-2021, 11:46 AM)gattaca66 Wrote:  They advised from the start that they could offset any tax paid in the UK against that due in Spain under the DT agreement, and I was obviously happy with that. A few weeks ago, however, I received via my electronic key a long letter from AT concerning my Renta for the 2019 year, basically telling me that this was an incorrect use of the DT agreement, and that as a resident of Spain I should arrange to cease paying UK tax, and pay in full in Spain. 

There are some types of income that are taxed in location. Property rental for example. A UK rental property would get taxed in  the UK. 

There are some that are taxed in your place of residence. 

Then there are those that get kind of taxed by both.  If for example you had UK company dividends the UK would slice it's bit off the top but than Spain would want some more.

Things like pensions you need to figure out which group you fit into. A pension could be any of the above.
1 user says Thank You to Will for this post
Reply Quote
I have had a house as a holiday home and was told if I claimed residency all taxes had to be paid in Spain and any assets outside Spain would be taxed too, ie my home and pension in UK. I suspect the tax situation will only get worse now due to Brexit as the European info between countries will end and Spain will look into our assets more closely. I decided to stick with UK system.
2 users say Thank You to Haribo for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Completing tax return gattaca66 6 4,696 19-05-2021, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Captain Sensible
  Spanish Tax Return 14yew 2 3,957 18-03-2021, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Cotillo_Tom