This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
learning spanish share

Share your learning of Spanish
I thought I would kick off with some of my favourite internet sites

https://www.duolingo.com/

https://www.spanishpodcast.net/listado-episodios/ - good clear Spanish and well explained albeit all in Spanish

https://www.brainscape.com/packs

https://www.spanishdict.com/translation - great dictionary and grammar sections

https://www.linguee.com/ - put in a word or sentence and up come many examples of how to use the word or phrase

Please add your own favourites in this thread.
5 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
My new phrase of the week.  "Ni papa" - nothing to do with potatoes.  Example:  No entiendo español, ni papa" - I don't understand Spanish, nothing at all!. / not a dicky bird/ not a word........
7 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
similar one for me, 'para nada' = 'at all'

example:

no nos hablamos para nada = we do not speak at all  Wink
Living my dream
7 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(22-03-2019, 07:06 PM)Emmi Smith Wrote: My new phrase of the week.  "Ni papa" - nothing to do with potatoes.  Example:  No entiendo español, ni papa" - I don't understand Spanish, nothing at all!. /  not a dicky bird/ not a word........

I do not understand Spanish, nor dad

or

I do not understand Spanish, dad neither
2 users say Thank You to el caballo hambriento for this post
Reply Quote
Found a useful reference page today to help with typing Spanish - the accents on letters etc.
spanishdict.com/guide/how-to-type-spanish-accents-and-letters]ó ñ etc[/url]

personally I use the character codes that they show as an option (when I remember Rolleyes ):

[color=#333333" />

Another way to type Spanish letters and punctuation marks is to use character codes. Each character in your computer has a code made up of the Alt key and a three-digit number, all of which are listed below.

Accented letter - Alt code
á  Alt + 0225
é  Alt + 0233
í  Alt + 0237
ó  Alt + 0243
ú  Alt + 0250
ñ  Alt + 0241
ü  Alt + 0252
¡ Alt + 0161
¿ Alt + 0191

To type the numbers, you must use the numeric keypad on the right side of your keyboard, not the number keys on the top row.

(Sorry, not sure where all the extra [b]s have come from, when I try to edit they don't show, perhaps Sam can work his magic on them!)

EDIT: extra tags removed. Sam

Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(30-03-2019, 12:43 AM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: ... (Sorry, not sure where all the extra [b]s have come from, when I try to edit they don't show, perhaps Sam can work his magic on them!)
Done.

Just wanted to add, the ALT codes should work on Windows machines, Mac and Linux works a bit different. 

Linux (at least Debian based distros, like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.) uses better approach, IMHO. Simply hold one or two extra keys with the letter you want to type. No need to remember all the numbers. Simples 😜

á — RightAlt + a
Á — RightAlt + Shift + a
é — RightAlt + e
É — RightAlt + e + Shift
í — RightAlt + i
Í — RightAlt + i + Shift
ñ — RightAlt + n
Ñ — RightAlt + n + Shift
ó — RightAlt + o
Ó — RightAlt + o + Shift
ú — RightAlt + u
Ú — RightAlt + u + Shift
ü — RightAlt + y
Ü — RightAlt + y + Shift
¿ — RightAlt + ?
¡ — RightAlt + !
« — RightAlt + [
» — RightAlt + ]

Mac, being Linux based is a bit similar although a bit more complicated:

á — Option + e, a
Á — Option + e, Shift + a
é — Option + e, e
É — Option + e, Shift + e
í — Option + e, i
Í — Option + e, Shift + i
ñ — Option + n, n
Ñ — Option + n, Shift + n
ó — Option + e, o
Ó — Option + e, Shift + o
ú — Option + e, u
Ú — Option + e, Shift + u
ü — Option + u, u
Ü — Option + u, Shift + u
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
My Mac does it all for me!  Just have to press firmly on a letter on which I need an accent and a little window comes up with the options.   Tongue
2 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
(30-03-2019, 10:01 AM)Emmi Smith Wrote: My Mac does it all for me!  Just have to press firmly on a letter on which I need an accent and a little window comes up with the options.   Tongue

My iPad and iPhone do the same 😃
1 user says Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote
(31-03-2019, 01:38 AM)Can the Man Wrote:
(30-03-2019, 10:01 AM)Emmi Smith Wrote: My Mac does it all for me!  Just have to press firmly on a letter on which I need an accent and a little window comes up with the options.   Tongue

My iPad and iPhone do the same 😃

Android devices too. Press and hold.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks to this thread Mr GSD and me are starting Duolingo today. We have tried various other methods of learning Spanish but never kept it up for one reason or another. Mainly, we think, as we haven't had anyone to practice with. So here goes and fingers crossed, we will stick with it this time. Thumbs Up No doubt I'll be back for advice.
1 user says Thank You to GSDGirl for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learning basic Spanish Nomark 10 1,933 15-02-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Nomark