This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
learning spanish share

Share your learning of Spanish
thanks Classic

and the dot , do they use punto?
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(05-06-2021, 10:10 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: thanks Classic

and the dot , do they use punto?

Yes, they do.
3 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
I have a lovely Spanish girl friend who insists on giving me a call on Facetime once in a while.  She has very little English, so it is all in Spanish!It's a bit of a trial, but we get there.  If I don't understand something, she very patiently says it again in a different way.  Although it's a trial, it is also fun and certainly keeps my Spanish going one way or another!!
3 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
You may think that "media naranja" means "half an orange. Well it does, BUT it also has a very colloquial meaning referring to "my special person"/ significant other/better half etc.  See here:
https://www.spanishdict.com/translate/media%20naranja
4 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
I have been doing Duolingo a couple of years , find it very good but the only issue I have is it is South American Spanish
1 user says Thank You to Davew for this post
Reply Quote
"What are the main differences between Latin American Spanish and Spanish in Spain? Would a person from Spain be understood in Argentina? Would a Colombian be able to get by in Spain? If you made a comparison between British and American English, you would say sure, an Australian would be understood without a problem if they visited the UK, and vice versa. The same goes for Spanish speakers. They may use different vocabulary, have different accents or expressions, but they would ultimately understand each other perfectly. " ( taken from a website)

There is sometimes some vocabulary which differs especially in the Canaries, but I wouildn't worry about it.
4 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
Well said Emmi. I personally have given up pronouncing the 'c' as 'th', with the toungue between one's teeth; I now pronounce it like the South-Americans do, that is, as an 's' sound, like the 'c' in 'cereals', it's easier and I spit less Smile . If I had been living in Madrid then I would have made an effort, I suppose. Apart from the fact that there is a large community of South-Americans in Fuerteventura. And I also have given up pronouncing the 's'of the plural in certain words, here they make it mute, same as in Andalucía (i.e. gracia(s), bueno(s) día(s), etc.).
5 users say Thank You to GMT for this post
Reply Quote
I was referring to the words used rather than pronunciation. Some of the words used that I am aware of are carro instead of coche, jugo instead of zumo. Like Cajun French in Louisiana and in France the languages have diverged over the years.
2 users say Thank You to Davew for this post
Reply Quote
(16-06-2021, 06:52 PM)Davew Wrote: I have been doing Duolingo a couple of years , find it very good but the only issue I have is it is South American Spanish

I also do Duo and I've found it accepts European Spanish answers as long as you get everything else correct in the sentence!
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
This is a great FaceBook page, for all levels

https://www.facebook.com/groups/855649187942795/
1 user says Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learning basic Spanish Nomark 10 2,004 15-02-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Nomark