This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
sanitaria medications health card now tarjeta get requirement

The Health Card-Tarjeta Sanitaria is now the only requirement to get your medications
The Health Card (Tarjeta Sanitaria) is now the only requirement to get medications in pharmacies

The Ministry of Health of the Government of the Canary Islands, on the occasion of the declared pandemic of Coronavirus COVID-19, will implement next Wednesday, March 18, measures to prevent the unnecessary movement of patients to health centres, facilitating the prescription of treatment plans without having to go to the clinic.

The objective is to facilitate that the patient can be attended by telephone by their doctor (requesting an appointment through 012 or with the app of the Canary Health Service "My previous appointment"), subsequently enabling the dispensing of the medication by their pharmacy without the need for present the Unique Treatment Plan, which until now was essential.

The patient must present their original Individual Health Card (TSI) at the pharmacy. In this way, and thanks to the collaboration of the Official Colleges of Pharmacists of the Canary Islands, patients will be able to obtain the medication instructions sheet in pharmacies, as an exceptional measure, in case they do not have it.

With this measure, it is hoped to reduce attendance at healthcare centres and thus avoid possible crowds and the spread of the virus.

Courtesy of gobiernodecanarias.org.
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks Sam.
I'd discovered that I needed a telephone appointment with my doctor for this and have got that in place for Wednesday but I hadn't been able to find out what happened next. Looks like I can just go to the pharmacy afterwards and pick up my stuff. Typical that my prescription form runs out this week! I'll report back after my telephone appointment. 
I must say that I'm quite impressed with how quickly things are happening/workarounds being put into place following the State of Emergency. We normally have a moan/joke about how long things take here but they really are trying hard at the moment - perhaps this will have some long term repercussions on the amount of red tape we normally have to deal with.

Edit: remember, this is only for the duration of the State of Emergency. Sam, you might want to change the title to reflect that?
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(17-03-2020, 12:55 AM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: ...Edit: remember, this is only for the duration of the State of Emergency. Sam, you might want to change the title to reflect that?

Can't make the title any longer. I'll update the thread once the State of Emergency is over. Fingers Crossed Fingers Crossed
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(17-03-2020, 12:55 AM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: Thanks Sam.
I'd discovered that I needed a telephone appointment with my doctor for this and have got that in place for Wednesday but I hadn't been able to find out what happened next. Looks like I can just go to the pharmacy afterwards and pick up my stuff. Typical that my prescription form runs out this week! I'll report back after my telephone appointment. 

All went to plan today. Prompt phone call from a doctor who spoke very good English (I had prepared a list of phrases in Spanish in case they didn't!) and then I went off to the pharmacy where I was able to collect my prescription.  Thumbs Up
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for the update Tamara. Glad to hear it's working.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
The Canary Health Service will automatically renew treatment plans for chronic patients, as a consequence of the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic and as long as the alarm status is maintained.

This measure, which will come into force tomorrow, Tuesday the 24th, aims to avoid unnecessary movement of patients to health centers, as well as to decongest the demand for telephone consultations aimed at renewing treatments, thus optimizing resources toilets for other more urgent tasks.

In this way, the patient will be able to obtain their usual chronic medication by presenting their Individual Health Card (TSI) at the pharmacy, even if the treatment plan that appears on it has expired, without requiring their doctor to extend it.

Acute treatments are exempt from this measure, which will maintain the duration established in the treatment plan. For such cases, the Canary Health Service proceeded last week to enable the Individual Health Card as the only requirement for dispensing medication in pharmacies. Thus, the patient may be attended by telephone by their doctor (requesting an appointment through 012 or with the app of the Canary Health Service "My previous appointment"), subsequently enabling the dispensing of the medication by their pharmacy without the need to present the Plan Unique Treatment, which until now was essential.

https://www3.gobiernodecanarias.org/noti...farmacias/
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
(24-03-2020, 12:37 PM)Sam Wrote: The Canary Health Service will automatically renew treatment plans for chronic patients, as a consequence of the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic and as long as the alarm status is maintained.

This measure, which will come into force tomorrow, Tuesday the 24th, aims to avoid unnecessary movement of patients to health centers, as well as to decongest the demand for telephone consultations aimed at renewing treatments, thus optimizing resources toilets for other more urgent tasks.

In this way, the patient will be able to obtain their usual chronic medication by presenting their Individual Health Card (TSI) at the pharmacy, even if the treatment plan that appears on it has expired, without requiring their doctor to extend it.

Acute treatments are exempt from this measure, which will maintain the duration established in the treatment plan. For such cases, the Canary Health Service proceeded last week to enable the Individual Health Card as the only requirement for dispensing medication in pharmacies. Thus, the patient may be attended by telephone by their doctor (requesting an appointment through 012 or with the app of the Canary Health Service "My previous appointment"), subsequently enabling the dispensing of the medication by their pharmacy without the need to present the Plan Unique Treatment, which until now was essential.

https://www3.gobiernodecanarias.org/noti...farmacias/

Not all chemists have behaved in the same way over the last twelve months. One, that I'd previously used regularly, refused to supply my medications without a prescription, another, quite the opposite. The chemist that I use exclusively now has never questioned anything that I've asked for. I do doubt though that they would dispense antibiotics without a prescription. I don't know because I've never tried to purchase.
2 users say Thank You to milestone11 for this post
Reply Quote
Chronic - A chronic condition is a long-developing syndrome, such as osteoporosis or asthma.

Acute - Acute conditions are severe and sudden in onset. This could describe anything from a broken bone to an asthma attack.

Just a reminder of the difference as it affects the main post in the thread. As a non-medical person myself, although from a medical family, I can never remember which is which.
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Despite reading an article recently that said prescriptions were going to be renewed automatically to save clogging up the appointment system, mine had expired last week when I went to collect stuff from the pharmacy. Went online to book a telephone appointment and there was a 3 week delay so I'll be out of some meds before then😭.
If you're not sure how long your 'repeat' is currently valid for you can ask your pharmacist to print you a paper copy, like the one the doctor used to issue, which has the expiry date on it. Don't get caught like I have!
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
In my experience, most Famacia will sell you the prescription items, if you are in need. Recently, we were flying back to the UK five days before our next months supply was going to be available. As we were back in the UK for five weeks, that meant we would have run out of tablets in the UK. 

The Farmacia couldn't issue the supply early, but she sold us the three boxes of tablets. 

OK, it cost €4 something rather than 40 odd cents, but it was well worth it. 

Tom.
3 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The health waiting list in Fuerteventura drops by 28% TamaraEnLaPlaya 5 302 01-03-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: DavidP
  Masks are back for all Health Centres TamaraEnLaPlaya 1 279 01-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Health budget 2024 - medicalised helicopter? TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 151 20-12-2023, 07:15 PM
  Medications v Hot Weather TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 409 12-07-2023, 08:41 PM
  Insular Residence of Mental Health TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 443 07-07-2023, 07:50 PM