This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
cards travel money

Travel money cards
Hi folks I’m sorry if this has been asked before but I have never used a pre-loaded currency card of this type. I’ve been looking at various cards on the internet, it would seem that some only do certain currencies and as I’m going to India, obviously requiring rupees. The card that seemed to be most suitable for my needs was the Caxton FX card. Apparently you can upload Sterling to it and spend it as locals currency’s where ever you are. Also draw local currency from ATMs. Has anybody had any good or bad experience of these cards. Would be grateful for any comments. Thanks Chris
1 user says Thank You to meggie for this post
Reply Quote
Revolut. You can't hold INR in it any more but you can load it with GBP, spend in India on it and the app will automatically convert and deduct from your GBP account balance to pay for it. Great for spending in Europe too. I have the free account and even sending Money to our EURO bank account in Fuerteventura is excellent with the best exchange rate I can find anywhere else.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for your reply Sam, one reason why l chose Caxton above Revolut was because on the web it said ATM withdrawals was only free up to £200 per month, above this amount came with a charge.
1 user says Thank You to meggie for this post
Reply Quote
(25-01-2019, 11:50 PM)Sam Wrote: Revolut. You can't hold INR in it any more but you can load it with GBP, spend in India on it and the app will automatically convert and deduct from your GBP account balance to pay for it. Great for spending in Europe too. I have the free account and even sending money to our EURO bank account in Fuerteventura is excellent with the best exchange rate I can find anywhere else.

I agree with Sam. I never use anything else. Best getting the actual card as not sure how many places out here take “Apple pay” type transactions. It’s all internet based so the phone app can load £’s direct from your bank & transfer to €’s instantly & at the best rate I have seen.

You've got to check out Revolut - it's saved me a fortune in hidden Banking fees! https://revolut.com/r/ronslqj
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
Thirding Revolut— and will also add that you can top them up from your credit card while out and about, and the transfer, unlike from bank, is instantaneous. 

Need to use your card somewhere, but don't trust the machine to put your real credit card into? Transfer Money to Revolut with the credit card down the back of the shop, then use the Revolut at the till. It is that easy. Yes, there's a fee for ATM withdrawals, but it's not very big, and most places will be able to take the card itself. I've had very good experiences with it so far.
3 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
(26-01-2019, 09:15 AM)meggie Wrote: Thanks for your reply Sam, one reason why l chose Caxton above Revolut was because on the web it said ATM withdrawals was only free up to £200 per month, above this amount came with a charge.

It is a 2% charge above £200 per month if you are on the basic account. If you upgrade to premium (6.oo per month) it is £400 per month not sure what the fee is but probably the same. The metal card (next step up) gives you either 6 or 800 but there is a higher monthly fee for the card
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
(26-01-2019, 09:15 AM)meggie Wrote: Thanks for your reply Sam, one reason why l chose Caxton above Revolut was because on the web it said ATM withdrawals was only free up to £200 per month, above this amount came with a charge.

According to a couple of websites, Caxton do change a (hidden) fee of 2.49% or 2.79% in India. Check it with their CS before you apply please. Otherwise the 2% fees, mentioned by Ron (Spitfire) is a better option.

For travels in Asia a prepaid card is a must so getting both cards would be a good idea, IMO.

Note about Caxton Card: Account Management fee of £2.00 applied every month if there have been no transactions in the previous 24 months.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
When in Fuerte I use CaxtonFX for getting cash from ATM`s (free) and for big shops at Mercadona. However, I also have a FairFX euro card which I use for supermarket shopping or any other large purchase as I have found that FairFX gives a slightly better exchange rate, however the FairFX card is not suitable for taking Money from ATM`s.

Outside of Europe I use the FairFX anywhere card but always gives a really good exchange rate but you do pay a small commission on each purchase. However the FairFX anywhere card is not really the card for withdrawing Money from an ATM due the costs involved. I do also use the FairFX anywhere card in Fuerte usually at the end of a visit to Fuerte especially when the exchange rate is low at the time on the CaxtonFX card as I tend to load it up when there is a good pound to euro rate.
2 users say Thank You to beachlife for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternatives To Wise For Moving Money Tardis 9 830 06-01-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Will
  Money Transfer FUE - UK GeoffFuerte 16 5,964 15-04-2022, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Bill
  Money Transfer Speed - TransferWise MLA 48 16,954 20-06-2021, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Johnrgby
  Moving money into Euros FVmouse 4 4,243 28-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Last Post: F1refly999
  Does anyone know if Spanish bank cards have chargeback? beachlife 6 5,572 23-05-2020, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Spitfire58