Hi , just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere. Stay safe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
spanish cards have bank chargeback

Does anyone know if Spanish bank cards have chargeback?
I bought RA tickets using my Spanish bank card. Does anyone know if Spanish bank cards have chargeback?
2 users say Thank You to beachlife for this post
Reply Quote
(21-05-2020, 04:44 PM)beachlife Wrote: I bought RA tickets using my Spanish bank card. Does anyone know if Spanish bank cards have chargeback?

From past experience working in the credit card industry, in principle, yes. 

It is part of the agreement between the card company (Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Diners) and the issuing bank (Santander for example)  They have to provide the ability for customers (You) to DISPUTE a transaction and get a CHARGEBACK to the merchant (Ryanair)

There are agreed timescales for the bank to deal with it and for the merchant to also deal with it.  Be aware that the merchant can refuse and for the bank to represent the chargeback a second time.  The agreed timescales are, from memory, something like 180 days so it could take over a year going down that route. But maybe not

BUT this is not the same as claiming a refund from the the issuing bank under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, which only applies to the UK
3 users say Thank You to hairybiker for this post
Reply Quote
(21-05-2020, 04:44 PM)beachlife Wrote: I bought RA tickets using my Spanish bank card. Does anyone know if Spanish bank cards have chargeback?

If you have Visa or MasterCard batch on the card, then the process is governed by the card scheme rather than the bank. Globally, methinks. No idea how to do a chargeback in Spain but I'll take ages for sure. Just **** your bank an email, they should explain what you have to provide.

Good luck and keep us posted, please.  Fingers Crossed  Fingers Crossed

Will split it from this Ryanair thread as it would be easier to find it in the Money category in the future.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Well fired off email to bank & answer was surprise surprise that the bank might do this for me, but it could also might charge me 25 euros for doing so. That would be decided after I had applied for the chargeback. So think I will just wait the 6 months or what ever it takes for RA to refund me. Lesson learnt by me, is in future I need to use my UK FX euro card to pay for flights in euros, as they do chargeback at no cost.
Reply Quote
25 euro for getting your own Money back after the promised service wasn't provided? Wouldn't be our bank for any longer.
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(22-05-2020, 05:15 PM)Sam Wrote: 25 euro for getting your own money back after the promised service wasn't provided? Wouldn't be our bank for any longer.

Be the case in the UK.

In the past when Barclays & Halifax were here the charges were much like the UK. Since they departed I have moved from 1 bank to another & as time has passes all Spanish banks have increased costs & looked at ways at creaming as much Money from customers as possible. There is a reason why the Spanish tend to pay cash when ever they can. I wondered why they didn`t use direct debits much & queue up to pay bills. Discussed this with some Spanish neighbours & even though they were Spanish they were using Anglo Saxon to describe their thoughts on the Spanish banks. I now understand after moving banks so much how good British banks are.
Reply Quote
It’s all a learning curve. I think as a whole, we need to get a lot more responsive to the way we are treated by businesses, tbh. Not many people react in the way that says, you do that to me, it’s the last time I do business with you. Might get a much better reaction if they knew that was what the reaction would be !!!
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bank ID verification letter mark5075 9 472 21-09-2020, 09:20 AM
Last Post: beachlife
  Free Spanish Bank accounts for residents Sam 12 893 20-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Lexeus
  Starling Bank - another free Euro bank account Sam 14 3,667 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Sam
  Bank cheque validity TrickyFox 3 1,071 02-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Last Post: TrickyFox
  Travel money cards meggie 7 1,842 02-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Last Post: beachlife