Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum. This is just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere on the island.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
corralejo which bank best

Which bank is best for Corralejo?
Hi all,

First question on the Forum so my apologies if this has been asked before, but I genuinely can't see a recent thread. We are moving to Lajares and want to sign up with a bank in Corralejo. People seem to recommend Sabadell for their online Banking and general friendliness. Would that be a good call? And also - which type of account have people got experience of?  It will be for UK pensions in, and general admin expenses and occasional use of ATMs.

TIA.
Bill
2 users say Thank You to Bill for this post
Reply Quote
Hello Bill, welcome to the forum.

Lots of people use Sabadell but they have gradually hiked their charges so not as attractive as they used to be. I personally like them because the people I deal with in Corralejo branch speak English and are very helpful.

This is an alternative that came up in the last few days:

https://fuerteventura.click/Thread-BBVA-...ng-account
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks, that's really useful. I hadn't seen BBVA recommended before but that thread was interesting, and quite recent so very topical!

But had heard Sabadell were friendly, so that is attractive.  Many thanks.
3 users say Thank You to Bill for this post
Reply Quote
You're welcome!

Please update the thread when you go ahead - your findings/thoughts will be useful to others in a similar situation.

And feel free to add to any other threads on the forum, or start new ones! Most of us have been through similar at some point.  Big Grin
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Avoid Banco Santander.  They can't be trusted.
3 users say Thank You to Tardis for this post
Reply Quote
An example of Sabadell's customer care

We have been customers for 8 years, firstly they make an annual charge for a second debit card, which we were not made aware of, 3/4 years ago they started charging 15€ per quarter fees, not really life changing, then just over a year ago they came up with an Expansion Plus account, which apparently is free of charges and comes with 2 debit cards, so we apply hear nothing so after circa 5/8 months I send them a reminder, get an email saying they will be in touch soon, about 3 months ago they removed their cash dispenser from outside Spar in Atlantico Centre and the one at the entrance to Las Rotundas, which means you have to go to the bank to withdraw cash as they make a charge for using another banks cash dispenser, after reading Tom.s post we decide to move, so I email them tell them I am leaving and explaining why, this morning iI received a reply

" with reference to your email you must meet the following conditions have a balance of 0€ and have no direct debits " or in my language we do not give a damn
Do not take life to seriously no one gets out alive anyway 
3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Wow. Just been looking at their Expansion options (there are 3) and assumed that the Plus would be the better account. But the conditions seems very confusing and it is not easy to make a comparison.

But not encouraging if they are defensive like that. I thought you could use other ATMS through some mutual scheme - the EURO6000?
Reply Quote
In our experience you cannot
Do not take life to seriously no one gets out alive anyway 
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
You can use the ATM's of other banks, but they come with a charge, usually €2 per transaction but I found a couple that charge €1.50. 

In truth, cash is not as popular as it was before COVID.  Quite a few places going card only. 

Sabadell have always been very friendly and helpful to us, but at a cost! €160 a year for us, plus ATM costs plus stupid things like, my new debit card arrived but will not work contactless from day one.  They will replace, but charge €35!!

Tom.
25/75 Birmingham/El Cotillo. Cool
4 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
Just an update folks. We have gone for Sabadell. It is €40 per quarter and they did tell us we have to pay for a second debit card. But we reckoned we will get established with this and then look around again.  They were helpful to be fair, but let's wait and see how it works in practice!
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What’s the latest on bank charges ? FVmouse 6 2,016 26-09-2021, 12:09 PM
Last Post: FVmouse
  Santander Bank Corralejo jdeefd 7 2,366 01-01-2021, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Pandali
  Bank ID verification letter mark5075 9 2,904 21-09-2020, 09:20 AM
Last Post: beachlife
  Starling Bank - another free Euro bank account Sam 14 7,987 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Sam
  Bank cheque validity TrickyFox 3 2,778 02-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Last Post: TrickyFox