This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
banking free bbva account

BBVA free banking account
BBVA are offering free Banking accounts to residents and non-resdents. It is all online. It is very simple to switch over, you need your TIE or passport and a full face picture to upload when you complete the online application form.  The last stage of the application is a videocall to the bank, where you are asked to show the TIE or passport and your own face. If they need any documents, it says they send a courier to collect them (but we were not asked for any).

BBVA will manage the switch for you, transferring any direct debits or regular credits and closing your present account, if you want to close it.  You get a debit card, two if a joint account. The date is agreed with you fir the switch, usually 4 to 6 weeks time, so they can notify all your regular payees. 

We were paying €160 (€40 per quarter) to Sabadell and Caxia charge €140 a year!

I've been wanting to move banks for ages, but the thought of contacting electricity, water, telephone suppliers plus the council to do new direct debits put me off. 

I'm not on commission despite the fact that as an existing customer there are rewards for referrals! 

We did all the online stuff in under an hour and our new account goes live in about a month.  

Good luck.  

Tom.
4 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
Sounds good to me Tom, we use Sabadell who charge us 60€ per anumn which is not an issue but!!! do you know what the system is with debit cards? as we only have one which on the odd occasion is a pain.
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks, Tom. Useful info.

We'll take any option to ditch Banca March - 4 x dd's and no cards = 8€ / month (PLUS extra if we wanted 2 x debit cards)

By the way, they also told us it was 'free' , but updated t&c's had hidden charges. Robbing b****ards!

So, we started our online BBVA application today. Two points to note:

1. For a joint account they need TWO different Spanish tele numbers, and we've just ditched our 2nd vodafone es line
      Initially we'll go with just one name. No prob.
  2. They didn't do my id check online ... I have to go to the branch with my Residencia/NIE

Tom, any idea when they ask about the account details you are switching away from, in order to change the dd's?

Thanks for this info. Fingers crossed we can switch seamlessly.  Thumbs Up
2 users say Thank You to Archer for this post
Reply Quote
Hi,

As we have two Spanish mobiles, we didn't hit that issue. Did you try giving the same number for both of you?

They didn't ask us for any information about our present account, so I assume there is a central register of account holders where they can identify our existing account and manage the transfer. 

Can't offer any reason why you couldn't do your ID check online, sorry.  Hopefully your visit the the branch will be seamless. 

Good luck Archer.  Do post an update later, just to help others.  

Tom.
2 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
Hi John,

All I can say is for a joint account, each account holder gets a debit card. 

Tom.
3 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks Tom, we will sort it in the next couple of days.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
We've had an on-line account with BBVA since 2018 and can't fault them.
4 users say Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote
(07-02-2022, 12:30 PM)TrickyFox Wrote: We've had an on-line account with BBVA since 2018 and can't fault them.

Morning can you tell me what the situation is regarding ATM,s?  according to their website they have one in Gran Tarajal and another in Antigua can you use another banks dispensers?
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
I went to BBVA today. I didn't have Cita Previa as I wasn't yet a customer.
Really nice lady in Gran Tarajal copied all my docs and activated the a/c immediately.
All good, so far.

The reason I had to go in branch was that the green Residencia does not have a photo (like TIE). Tip: Select 'Passport Only' at signup, then maybe they do the online id bit like Tom described.

Once the a/c was set, there are app options to transfer your dd's etc from another bank (like the UK Switch). Also one option to close the other a/c when all switching is done. They gave a date this will happen - in my case 25th March.

I foresee a problem (for me), as it says a/c name must match the old one! I setup one name only and not joint, as I don't have TWO Spanish mobile numbers. And you MUST have 2 for a joint a/c. You cannot use UK mobile. This could be a problem for a lot of people.

Another potential problem is Orange now kindly block my mobile number when in the UK! So no bank secure access whilst away.

I'll let you know how it goes. At least it's open and running with little effort, so far  Fingers Crossed

Thank Tom.

John. At least 2 x ATM's in the BBVA lobby at Gran Tarajal
2 users say Thank You to Archer for this post
Reply Quote
Morning Archer, thanks for the info on ATM,s,  but we live in Caleta, so having to go to Antigua os Gran Tarajal for a cash withdrawal negates the advantages unfortunately.
3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK Private pensions paid direct to Spanish bank account - charges! TamaraEnLaPlaya 1 1,887 03-10-2022, 08:44 PM
Last Post: classic
  Wise account or problem classic 6 4,304 05-03-2022, 06:46 AM
Last Post: classic
  How to Close a Bankia Account ? SamT 9 6,992 23-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Starling Bank - another free Euro bank account Sam 14 12,321 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Sam