This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
failed heater years water

Water heater failed after 2 years??
We had a similar issue a couple of tears ago, A Brit " Plumber " told us the boiler was useless so we replaced it.it made no difference, could not contact the original guy, whoa had assured us that once the heater had warmed up it would be OK. and on the recommendation of a Spanish Neighbour we called in a local plumber who spent two hours working on the pipework between the Boiler and the taps, and eventually fixed it, he then asked what we had done with the original boiler as he thought there was nothing wrong with it when we told him the original plumber had removed it, he laughed and shook his head, my advice get a qualified plumber to check it.
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
That's why I believe the heater is corroded internally and blocking the water outlet .
It's only gravity pressure and the reason I believe this to be the case, is because the outlet pipe from the heater is covered in brown rusty type deposits.
Once I remove the connection from the outlet pipe I will know straight away.
It should drain the water or as I suspect the outlet is blocked.
2 users say Thank You to Tunefootball for this post
Reply Quote
I know the water should still reach the first pipe if it is hot, and that's why I posted the initial question.
I can prove the blockage, simply by disconnecting the outlet pipe.
Obviously if water flows from there, the pipe work further on must be the cause.
With the age of the boiler and what everyone as said, I think it will be wise to replace the boiler even if I need more remedial work as well .
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Much appreciated 👍
3 users say Thank You to Tunefootball for this post
Reply Quote
Conclusion to my problem.
After disconnecting the water outlet hose from the boiler I found it to be completely blocked with brown waste .
After cleaning this I turned the water back on and ran the hose into a bucket- sure enough , brown water , then clear .
As good practice I disconnected each hose from the next outlet- eg sink,bathroom sink , bath and ran the water into a bucket.
Result - hot water and more pressure in each outlet.
I'll replace the boiler on my next holiday visit because the brownish coloured water certainly implies the boiler is on its way out.
Thanks again for your help
Reply Quote
Glad you sorted it, my friend
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Looks like I've been lucky the boiler never leaked.
Gravy colour with massive sediment on the last gallon that was drained off.

Reply Quote
Yet another super helpful thread on this forum!  Thumbs Up

Our Ariston boiler has just started leaking - it seems that the weak point is at a weld (see picture). When turning off the in/out taps to the tank then the leak stops so it's not a complete disaster - yet! Since it's started leaking like this I guess I should replace it as not sure this can easily be repaired? 

The water heater has done about 6 years of service, though only used two to three months a year as it's a holiday house. I'm thinking of getting another Ariston as a replacement. I've seen reference in this thread to the store J. Parrilla selling Ariston. Does anyone know if they also carry out installation?

Each time we come back to the property after a period away, there's always a lot of "brown water" coming from the hot water tank for an initial period. Perhaps I should consider draining/cleaning the tank periodically - what do other people do in this regard? Any tips to improve the life time of the water heater greatly appreciated!

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
1 user says Thank You to Rome77 for this post
Reply Quote
Two years is about the average life expectancy of a water heater, regardless of being used full time or just for holidays. I got three and a half years out of my last one. 

The brown water is a common problem. Sediment builds up inside the heater. I'm not aware of the effectiveness of draining them and as they are sealed, I don't see how you could clean inside (but very willing to learn, if anyone knows).

Replacement is very easy. Even if the replacement is not identical, there is a bracket you can get to adapt the existing fixings, so it is just hang it on the brackets and tighten the bolts.  

When draining, hold your hand over the input and it stops the output. Very handy when you need to empty the bucket.  

Tom.
1 user says Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
For a holiday home that is unoccupied for long periods I would definately drain before closing the property up - the last thing you want is a flood when you're not there. 6 years is very good! We change ours anyway every 2 years so that we don't get caught out on a Sunday or public holiday - gives us time to shop around for what we want without ending up with a panic buy 🤣
Don't know the shop you mentioned so can't help there, sorry.
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(13-07-2021, 03:00 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: For a holiday home that is unoccupied for long periods I would definately drain before closing the property up - the last thing you want is a flood when you're not there. 6 years is very good! We change ours anyway every 2 years so that we don't get caught out on a Sunday or public holiday - gives us time to shop around for what we want without ending up with a panic buy 🤣
Don't know the shop you mentioned so can't help there, sorry.

Tamara, instead of changing every two years, whether it needs it or not, why not just keep a spare one?
1 user says Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Repair / servicing of Junkers Solar Water Heater locallad001 4 5,265 25-06-2020, 06:23 AM
Last Post: locallad001