This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
gardening fuerteventura

Gardening in Fuerteventura
(22-12-2020, 09:59 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: It's only a weed if it's growing where you don't want it!

https://fuerteventura.click/Thread-Garde...9#pid15299

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  Almost exactly managements attitude which was I like it so put it in a large pot so I can contain it then it is not a weed Rolleyes Rolleyes
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
4 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Friend's tiny cactus has started blooming, the pot is 1.5 inch diameter, so cute:

[Image: xSmMttI.jpg] [Image: 7Q2V1vE.jpg] [Image: SlOhCg3.jpg]

she was about to pull out the 'weed' but I pointed out it was a desert rose seedling so she's going to carefully separate it out tomorrow!
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
A favourite plant has died on me almost overnight  Cry

In it's prime, back in August:
[Image: XaAiDUb.jpg]

Today:
[Image: C1dRSqM.jpg] 

Looking underneath the plant I found the culprit pest, a form of scale:
[Image: NrhvI9A.jpg]

The plant was too far gone to treat and save, so it came out and went in the wheelie bin, not the compost heap.

The Weather was perfect for spraying though so I mixed up 5L of Bayer Ultimate Bug Killer and late afternoon I had a good go at other specimens of this plant and my hibiscus that had got blackfly and my shrubby poinsettia that had cochineal, and so on and so on, avoiding areas where I've got Monarch caterpillars. I'd just finished when a swarm of hummingbird hawkmoths arrived so I hope they didn't get affected.

I also found another type of scale on the Mexican petunia:
[Image: rWkmp4m.jpg]

This also got sprayed but I get a lot of satisfaction from squashing these ones by hand. Get red fingers but I take my angst out on the little buggers.  Wink
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
I've been having a look around a couple of friend's gardens the last few days and took some pics to show examples of what else grows well here that I don't have in my garden, or they are getting better results than I am in mine.

[Image: OWfLXDv.jpg] [Image: gHABC9B.jpg]
I love the flowers on this but not so keen on the plant the rest of the year. Beware, one plant rapidly becomes hundreds and is difficult to eradicate if you change your mind!

[Image: DrVBXYU.jpg] a stunning gazania - mine haven't done so well this year. Got attached by cochineal and scale  Cry

[Image: iGoGoiI.jpg] a gorgeous kalanchoe, I'd never seen this colour before.

[Image: d5LYRKF.jpg] [Image: i2zgzHg.jpg] [Image: hHx9aQb.jpg]

[Image: 0NRidnb.jpg] [Image: w4YSXrv.jpg] all sorts of peppers for the eating of, hotter the better!

[Image: yX5ArIt.jpg] [Image: w4sXFzx.jpg]

[Image: AfzP7Vr.jpg] [Image: yiKxpTe.jpg]

[Image: Foh7Nfr.jpg] [Image: o8alsfn.jpg]

[Image: GvrVETV.jpg] an uncontrolled yucca! The seedpods are interesting, similar shape to the Pitcher Plant.

[Image: Hl1Rjeq.jpg] [Image: rw9DNO3.jpg]
Living my dream
7 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
cont:
[Image: QDogEgp.jpg] [Image: VODn03S.jpg] [Image: eYfZyyM.jpg]

[Image: HiIzdVW.jpg] [Image: 0WUwHMy.jpg]

[Image: Xff2s5V.jpg] [Image: tcoYmMB.jpg] enormous Majorero geraniums!

[Image: SqRysPs.jpg] [Image: tt4HvNc.jpg] [Image: 1yo3ywm.jpg]
Living my dream
6 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
an update from this post: https://fuerteventura.click/Thread-Garde...9#pid21119[url=https://i.imgur.com/tEnI5mk.jpg][/url]

My bananas still aren't swelling/ripening. The pups have grown back. I'm giving extra water and feed.

Latest effort: I've drastically pruned the hibiscus growing in front of the banana so direct sun can get on the fruit and tomorrow I'm going to attempt to cut the top hand of fruit off. This is following the suggestions of a friend in Florida who grows them successfully! He cuts the top hand and hangs it in full sun to ripen.

[Image: tEnI5mk.jpg]

Anyone got any other ideas/experience?
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Some new ideas for gardening Tamara, invite some elderly friends round to help 😃

3 users say Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote
Nice one Can!

If anyone else's garden is suffering from the unwanted attention of other people's cats I have found this to be quite effective. Last pretty well due to our lack of rain!

[Image: c0rpRaQ.jpg]
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Bayer Ultimate Bug Killer. can I ask where you buy it Tamara? we have 5/6 Hibiscus and if anything happened to them management would not be happy
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
1 user says Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
(30-12-2020, 09:01 AM)Johnrgby Wrote: Bayer Ultimate Bug Killer. can I ask where you buy it Tamara? we have 5/6 Hibiscus and if anything happened to them management would not be happy

Amazon, John! 
However it's not quite as good as it used to be, no longer marketed as systemic 😭 needs several applications, week to 10 days apart, to do the same job.
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote