This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
gardening fuerteventura

Gardening in Fuerteventura
cont.
[Image: f053lFM.jpg] [Image: WJS4UCu.jpg] [Image: crKuVva.jpg]

[Image: 6dmMciJ.jpg] [Image: iYeCHSI.jpg] [Image: iuxRl5g.jpg]

[Image: yX6rk7I.jpg] [Image: NOupsPN.jpg] [Image: hRRcG3X.jpg]

This is what we get for having the equivalent of a second spring in the autumn! Puts a smile on my face every day  Smile
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Stunning Tamara, absolutely beautiful. You truly have green fingers.
2 users say Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote
Saw this Tecoma in Corralejo today, pruned within an inch of it's life, but I had to smile at the new determined little growth at the base  Thumbs Up
[Image: BylMFlQ.jpg] [Image: 4D10PiW.jpg]
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Senecio or String of Beads.
A friend bought me this strange plant a few months ago from Happy Plants. I've hung it mainly in the shade in a tree. Series of little balls on threads! Today I noticed some blooms, tiny little flowers on long stalks. (Don't think it's grown for it's flowers  Big Grin) (the red berries are from the tree it is hanging in.)

[Image: ob1AkLj.jpg] [Image: lLFUBMD.jpg] [Image: Au7J7Am.jpg]
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(22-07-2020, 11:27 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: I've had some interesting encounters in the garden over the last few days.

The first was quite sad though. I turned a pot on it's side to get rid of the picon mulch from the surface before taking the plant out of the pot and putting it in the ground. Out fell 2 tiny little eggs, about 1cm long, and of course they broke. Close inspection revealed them to be gecko eggs but they weren't ready to hatch.

The second was quite disgusting! Digging in to the pile of soil/cabra poo I came across something about the size of a finger but coiled up:
[Image: Q8lkJ3e.jpg] [Image: bP6Lj6x.jpg] 
A quick WhatsApp to a friend who has been gardening here for years identified it as a Cutworm. Definitely a new one for me. 
From wiki:
Cutworms are moth larvae that hide under litter or soil during the day, coming out in the dark to feed on plants. A larva typically attacks the first part of the plant it encounters, namely the stem, often of a seedling, and consequently cuts it down; hence the name cutworm. Cutworms are not worms, biologically speaking, but caterpillars.

So, it was adios cutworm  Wink . However, I found another 8 or 10 during the day so I am now seriously worried about all my new plantings - did I miss any before I spotted the first one? Only time will tell  Fingers Crossed

Then I had a baby rabbit in the garden. Borrowed a humane trap but it seems to have moved on without getting tempted by the carrot pieces!

Found a cure for the cutworms! Needed it today as discovered several more when shifting soil.

[Image: 0Zj1UoS.jpg]
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Gorgeous smell in the garden today! Traced it to the bloom on:

Acokanthera oblongifolia (commonly known as African wintersweet, dune poison bush, Hottentot's poison, poison arrow plant or wintersweet) is a plant in the family Apocynaceae. It grows as an evergreen shrub or small tree up to 6 metres (20 ft) tall. (from wiki)

Wintersweet will do for me!

[Image: 3uP7OLX.jpg]
Living my dream
Reply Quote
Bromeliad coming in to bloom! (Same family as pineapple)

[Image: GaahctG.jpg]
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Is this a weed? Grows like a weed but the flowers are pretty. 

Loving it  Cool

3 users say Thank You to Pete Garyga for this post
Reply Quote
I asked the same question on the Darkside some years ago Pete and was told it was a
  • Saltmarsh morning-glory

• Glade Morning-Glory
    No response to whether it was a weed or not, but as management liked the flowers we have some growing, in pots, but I am sure someone on here will know
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
4 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
It's only a weed if it's growing where you don't want it!

https://fuerteventura.click/Thread-Garde...9#pid15299
Living my dream
Reply Quote