This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
fuerteventura uk driving brexit drivers

Driving in Fuerteventura for UK drivers after Brexit
I've just checked the Gov website and ended up in their "Brexit section". I'm really sorry if you're bored of Brexit (I'm on the same boat) but driving in Fuerteventura is something we can't live without. We simply like the independence and hate to wait for the cabs or buses.

Scroll down to the update, please.

If there is an EU exit deal, UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence.

In the event that there is no EU exit deal, the government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognise UK driving licences when people are visiting, for example on holiday or business trips. Until such arrangements are in place, UK driving licence holders may also need an IDP to drive in EU and EEA countries.

Simply, in case of "hard Brexit" we will need International Driving Licence to drive in Fuerteventura. To be more specific, it's the 1949 IDP. The 1949 Convention IDP is valid in the Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus. As well as: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Australia, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Bolivia, Brunei, Burkina, Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Chile, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa, Rica, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eswatini, Fiji, Guatemala, Haiti, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Libya, Macao, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Mauritius, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, Nigeria, Papua, New Guinea, Paraguay, Rwanda, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uganda, USA, Vatican City, Venezuela and Zambia. The international driving licence costs only £5.50 and lasts 12 months.

To get the 1949 IDP, you have to apply in person at selected Post Office branches. Use the branch finder to find the nearest Post Office branch offering this service.

UK licence holders who live (official residents) in Fuerteventura

If you are currently using a UK driving licence and live in Fuerteventura, from 29 March 2019 you won't be able to use an IDP to guarantee that your UK licence will be recognised.

If you wish to continue to drive, you should exchange your UK licence with a Spanish driving licence.

While the UK is a member of the EU, UK driving licences are directly exchangeable for EU and EEA country licences. From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, this licence exchange arrangement will stop. Instead you will need to re-take your driving test in the EU country where you live to be able to carry on driving there.

If you return to live in the UK, you'll be able to exchange your Spanish licence for a UK licence without taking another test so long as you got your initial licence from passing a test in the UK.

UPDATE

Just checked again and it looks like Spain decided to keep things simple.

Driving in the EU after Brexit: international driving permits:

Quote:Spain

You will not need an IDP for visits up to 9 months after the date the UK leaves the EU. Then you will not need an IDP for visits up to 6 months, if you have either a UK photocard or UK paper driving licence.

You will need a 1949 IDP for longer visits.

Hope they mean any kind of Brexit, will have to check again at the beginning of November, I guess.
4 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Glad I changed to a Spanish licence years ago - I don't have to worry about possibly retaking my test, including the theory, in Spanish!
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for the post, Sam. As I arrive on the 8th Feb and be there till May decided just in case to get an IDP tomorrow. Although I have a feeling that some sort of arrangement will be cobbled together by the 29th March.

Thought it would be easy to get from the main Post office where I live in the UK but have to actually travel to a major city to get it.

Plus I notice that the one required by Spain (1049) is only for a year while the other (1929) which can be used in more countries covers you for 3 years. So if someone was travelling from UK by vehicle to Spain they would need both the 1020 and the 1049 IDP.
Reply Quote
(03-02-2019, 03:36 PM)beachlife Wrote: Thanks for the post, Sam. As I arrive on the 8th Feb and be there till May decided just in case to get an IDP tomorrow. Although I have a feeling that some sort of arrangement will be cobbled together by the 29th March.

Thought it would be easy to get from the main Post office where I live in the UK but have to actually travel to a major city to get it.

Plus I notice that the one required by Spain (1049) is only for a year while the other (1929) which can be used in more countries covers you for 3 years. So if someone was travelling from UK by vehicle to Spain they would need both the 1020 and the 1049 IDP.

Some years ago { about 40, to be honest, you could get one from the AA, whether you where a member or not, I was so they would send me a reminder and off would go the postal order { yes that's how far back it was } and back would come my IDL, could be worth checking save a trip into a city maybe?
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Just having to get an IDP as out this week for an extended stay. Checked with my local main post office and they are not aware of any change to which post offices are issuing IDP`s, so I`m still having to travel tomorrow some distance to a major city to make sure I am legitimate after the 29th March if it's necessary after that date.
1 user says Thank You to beachlife for this post
Reply Quote
The new outlets for the IDP were kicking in either 1st Feb or 1st March, can’t remember which. I think that was to be what they call “main post offices” not sub offices
1 user says Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks maybe it`s the 1st March as the staff in my main post office didn`t know about it when I asked, hence due to the time scale for me travelling to Fuerte on Friday I am biting the bullet and making a trek to get it just in case it is required.
Reply Quote
Thanks, Johnny already got my rail ticket and walking route to PO.
Reply Quote
We got our IDPs before we left the UK in September as we will be driving in Europe after March 29th and wanted to be covered incase there was no agreement. We got them at a main post office as listed on the Post Office website but just be careful, the filter for what you are looking for is not clear.

The cost from the PO is as mentioned 5.50GBP (sorry my keyboard is throwing a wobbly and gone America so no pound sign) and you get it issued there and then from the AA it is done by post and cost at least twice as much.
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
2 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
From the AA's site just now:

The way you apply for an IDP has changed – we can't issue any IDPs at all (including by post or at our Folkestone/Eurotunnel shop) after 31 January 2019. 
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Driving licence exchange willie5094 0 244 05-11-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: willie5094
  Driving Licence Fiasco Joy Division 48 8,221 12-04-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: gravi
  UK driving license petition tigga1958 0 2,367 29-05-2022, 09:06 AM
Last Post: tigga1958
  Renewing Spanish Driving Licence - over 65s TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 2,735 05-05-2022, 09:12 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Exchange from UK to Spanish driving licence gattaca66 104 41,647 30-04-2022, 09:52 AM
Last Post: DavidP