This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
charging points ev vehicle fuerteventura electric

Electric Vehicle (EV) charging points in Fuerteventura
In prep for the day when EVs might be available to hire on FV perhaps we ought to start compiling our own database of what charging points are available. I've very little knowledge of these, are they all the same/what should we note about them etc?

I'll start with 6 at Mercadona Corralejo, only available when the store is open as inside car park.
I believe there is one at Las Palmeras shopping centre car park in Corralejo.
I've heard there is one at one of the big hotels in Corralejo, not sure which, and presumably only available to guests?

99.9% certain there are none in Tindaya!
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Good idea.
There's one in El Cuchillete industrial estate (near Gran Tarajal), in El Cardon laundry premises - close to Cofemax. Must be booked in advance. One in Ave Juan Bethencourt, 75 and another owned by El Cardon laundry at Arado Unit 3, in El Matorral in paint shop El Malecon. All 3 El Cardon charging points are free to use.
And I've seen a car charging, or at least standing next to a charging point in the Bus Station in Gran Tarajal.
3 users say Thank You to Archer for this post
Reply Quote
BP petrol station in Puerto del Rosario:

Googlemaps

Open daily 7am - 10pm, free of charge.
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Don’t forget the new bus station in Caleta  Cool
3 users say Thank You to Rasputin for this post
Reply Quote
I'm told there is one in the car park of the big old HiperDino in Corralejo (the one with the windmill outside).

I did find a 'map' online of EV charge points but it appeared to be very out of date. I've tried to search for them on Google maps but it doesn't seem to be an option, unless someone knows differently?

I was pondering the whole issue of EVs yesterday evening and it strikes me that it would be a huge problem on the island if many residents changed over to them. With so many people living in apartments or properties where they can't park directly outside, overnight charging would be virtually impossible. I suppose it's the same anywhere, not just FV.

Once we've got a good selection of charge points here I'll do a geographical summary. Keep 'em coming!

EDIT 25.03.19 to add pic. 
3 charge points in the HiperDino mentioned at the beginning of this post:

[Image: gC9HrpS.jpg]
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Another issue with an increase in EV's is the electricity supply, will the island grid cope no doubt a huge increase in solar panels and wind turbines.  In the UK to cope with the 2040 plan to manufacture / allow only new cars that are electric I had read that they would need 4 more nuclear power stations in addition to the ones already in the proposed and currently questionable due to finance.

Watch this space
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
3 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
At home here in Ireland I drive a PHEV which is very economical and I charge at night on the low rate when there is low demand on the grid. The car is averaging 3.5 Ltrs per 100 km on petrol and costs less than €1 to charge. I can charge for free at the charge points but there’s only so much awful coffee you can drink  Big Grin I have a range of approx 50 km on pure electric and about 800km on both. Range anxiety was my reason for not going fully electric originally but Hyundai have since introduced the Kona with a real life range of 450km. This would be enough range for most people including me I suppose. 
EVs are like phones, you get one and before you get the box open they have a new improved model out.
3 users say Thank You to Rasputin for this post
Reply Quote
I read an article middle of last year I think, but definitely in 2018, and at that point, there were only thirty electric cars on The Island, it will be a little while methinks before we have to start worrying about Grid overload Smile
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
(20-02-2019, 11:45 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: ...I was pondering the whole issue of EVs yesterday evening and it strikes me that it would be a huge problem on the island if many residents changed over to them. With so many people living in apartments or properties where they can't park directly outside, overnight charging would be virtually impossible. I suppose it's the same anywhere, not just FV...

Not a big deal in the UK. We have the On-street Residential Chargepoint Scheme. You simply apply though your Council and they'll install a charging point on the street for you.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(20-02-2019, 11:45 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: ...I did find a 'map' online of EV charge points but it appeared to be very out of date. I've tried to search for them on Google maps but it doesn't seem to be an option, unless someone knows differently?...

Had a look around. Electromaps looks pretty up to date, ATM.
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vehicle checks/control TamaraEnLaPlaya 1 2,090 05-05-2022, 09:47 AM
Last Post: DavidP