This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Migration Alert: Temporary Downtime on June 14th
Hola todos!

I just received an email from the hosting company that's housing this forum. Over the past weeks, we experienced a few of brief downtimes, for which the company apologized and offered to transfer the forum to a different server. However, considering the challenges and downtimes we encountered during the previous forum migration, I declined their offer.

However, it appears that the hosting company is now unsatisfied with their current data center in Amsterdam and has made the decision to relocate elsewhere. The scheduled date for this move is June 19th. Here's an excerpt from the email:

Hi Sam,

We hope that this email finds you well.

First off, we would like to apologize for any downtime that you may have experienced at our Amsterdam datacenter location over the past year. Unfortunately, we had zero control over these incidents because they were caused by power issues with the building power systems that we don't manage. To ensure that we can provide the best service and uptime possible, we have decided to migrate to a new datacenter (Equinix AM5) that doesn't suffer from these power issues.

The migration will begin at 9:00 AM (Amsterdam time) on June 19th, 2023 and is expected to take approximately 6 hours to complete.

Unfortunately, this means that all services hosted with us in Amsterdam will be offline during the migration. Due to the urgency of this migration, we were unable to schedule the migration further in advance or at night. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, and our team will be working on completing the migration as quickly as possible.

I immediately contacted the hosting company, and we have devised a different plan for the forum migration. It is inevitable that we will have to move the forum, but we have chosen a more favorable time: 2 o'clock in the morning on June 14th (next Wednesday). By conducting the migration during this early hour, the downtime will have minimal impact, and hopefully, the majority of us will find the forum up and running once we all wake up.

To ensure a smooth transition, I will lock the forum on Tuesday evening, preventing any new posts from being made. I will also create a backup of the forum to be restored elsewhere in case any issues arise during the migration. Once the migration is complete, I will unlock the forum, allowing normal access to resume.

In addition to moving and restoring the forum files, we also need to address the DNS servers. These electronic guys are responsible for translating the web addresses you enter into your browser into numerical IP addresses. Each server maintains a large directory, similar to an enormous yellow pages book, containing all the names and corresponding numbers. These servers periodically check and update these numbers. However, these changes do not take effect immediately. Some servers may update within hours, while others may take a couple of days. If you find yourself unlucky and unable to access the forum, please do not panic. The issue will be resolved in due course. If you have any questions or simply want to chat, the Darkside forum is still operational, and some of us are actively monitoring it.

Thank you for taking the time to read and understanding the situation we all are in.
I Heart Fuerteventura
6 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
thanks for the info Sam, here's hoping it all goes to plan!

Will it affect our profiles/passwords or do they carry over 'as is'?
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(08-06-2023, 08:50 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: thanks for the info Sam, here's hoping it all goes to plan!

Will it affect our profiles/passwords or do they carry over 'as is'?

Indeed Tamara, let's hope that the migration goes as smoothly as possible.

All user profiles and passwords will remain unchanged throughout the migration. While there might be a need to sign out and sign back in again, as well as address the cookie warning, this will only be necessary due to the implementation of new server certificates. Apart from these minor adjustments, no significant changes to your profiles are expected.
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Sam, a bit of a pain in the u-know-where for you, but we really do appreciate everything you do to keep the forum alive and active, so from all of us A REALLY BIG THANK YOU!
5 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
(09-06-2023, 06:38 AM)Cotillo_Tom Wrote: Sam, a bit of a pain in the u-know-where for you, but we really do appreciate everything you do to keep the forum alive and active, so from all of us A REALLY BIG THANK YOU!

Here - Here !!!!
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
2 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
Thank you Sam! I am sure it will all be fine with you at the helm on our side.
2 users say Thank You to Perrypower1 for this post
Reply Quote
I want to express my gratitude to everyone, although I must admit that my contributions here have been quite low. I certainly wish I could do more.

The ones deserving the utmost appreciation are all of you, with a special mention to Tamara and Captain. They are effectively running the entire forum at this point. Thank you!
I Heart Fuerteventura
4 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Yes you are right Sam, a big thank you to Tamara and the Captain, but also a big thank you to you for establishing and hosting this forum, for without you some of us would no longer be on a Fuerteventura forum, having left the dark side behind never to return.
4 users say Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote
Today is the day Smile
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
If you are reading this, then you have successfully migrated to the new server and can continue using the forum.

Thank you once again for your patience, active participation, sharing of knowledge, and contribution towards enriching our understanding of the island. It is my sincere belief that this forum will soon become a go-to destination for anyone seeking answers or insights related to our beloved island.
I Heart Fuerteventura
6 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sport Topic in main forum Naturelover56 4 3,257 29-10-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Naturelover56
  Website forum functionality - How to remove the announcement banner milestone11 9 3,677 04-03-2022, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sam
  Major downtime last night Sam 7 3,372 07-08-2021, 02:41 PM
  Chat box implementation into the forum Sam 7 2,797 19-03-2020, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Spitfire58
Bug Report any issues with the forum here please Sam 38 12,547 21-01-2019, 10:35 PM