Hi , just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere. Stay safe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
playa blanca fibre movistar got broadband just internet

Just got fibre broadband! [Playa Blanca]
Big Grin 
So far I haven't been willing to take out a lengthy (I assumed) expensive monthly contract for what I thought would be mediocre internet, especially when we don't live here permanently. So we've been relying on mobile data using a 4G router for our home internet needs. Those needs recently changed dramatically though with two kids home schooling and two people working full-time with lots of online meetings. Tethering on three different sim cards to try ensure sufficient bandwidth becomes quite expensive and is also a pain from a practical point of view!

So I was very positively surprised when one of our neighbours said that he has Movistar fibre broadband and that you don't have to commit to a fixed time period! I promptly visited one of the Movistar shops in Puerto on Saturday, and yesterday the technicians did the installation. Let's just say it's been an enjoyable day online  Smile

The package: 600 Mb/s fiber broadband, 30 GB mobile data plan [we needed another Spanish SIM anyway] and landline [don't think we'll use this to be honest]. The monthly cost is about 27 euros for the first three months, then 49 euros subsequently: see the offer here.

Can't wait to stream some high resolution TV over the weekend  Cool
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
4 users say Thank You to Rome77 for this post
Reply Quote
Pleased for you, but sooooo jealous!  Big Grin
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for this— was recently wondering if it would be cheaper to use this rather than Fuerte Wifi, which is €300 for 6mo (at about 5% the speed!). However, as we're not here full time, I'm still not sure. Also, they have a presence in Caleta and have been extremely helpful always. It's just that the price/speed is a bit of an issue sometimes. 

Can you elaborate more on not needing to commit to a fixed period? Do you do a rolling month to month contract, or?
1 user says Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
(15-01-2021, 10:06 PM)Ducks Wrote: Thanks for this— was recently wondering if it would be cheaper to use this rather than Fuerte Wifi, which is €300 for 6mo (at about 5% the speed!). However, as we're not here full time, I'm still not sure. Also, they have a presence in Caleta and have been extremely helpful always. It's just that the price/speed is a bit of an issue sometimes. 

Can you elaborate more on not needing to commit to a fixed period? Do you do a rolling month to month contract, or?

My assumption is that "sin permanencia" will mean a month's notice, but to be honest in my excitement I did not read the fine print! I've given them my bank account details so I expect this to be direct debit payment. Also worth noting that there were no installation costs involved (not for the cable work, nor any charge for the router).

What I would say though is that 600 Mb/s is more than most people would need (including us but that was the most suitable package offered). So if the internet you've got now covers your current needs then maybe that's ok. However, if you'd like more bandwidth and fibre is an option in your area, then I'd say that's definitely worth looking into!
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
3 users say Thank You to Rome77 for this post
Reply Quote
Ducks, there are three packages available from Movistar: 100Mb, 300Mb and 600Mb.

From your experience with your previous or current supplier,  the 100 will make an enormous difference. If you are streaming television or Netflix etc, go for the 300 package. 

The 600 is only for very heavy users, videogame players or live streaming etc. 

Tom.
25/75 Birmingham/El Cotillo. Cool
5 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks folks, I appreciate the information and will give this some more consideration. 

Probably won't go ahead with it right away (we're concerned that once we leave, it could be a while before we get back owing to global Events, plus not fancying the necessity of getting a bus to the city to speak to someone), but it's good information to have. Maybe once all this COVID nonsense has died down to a dull roar where the prospect of a bus ride doesn't feel life threatening and airlines aren't constantly pulling flights, we'll feel more comfortable committing to it.

Enjoy your speed, Rome!  Big Grin
2 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
Big Grin 
Hi all, i have been lurking around this forum unannounced for the past few months so time to say hello and hopefully, contribute Smile

I did some research before moving here and brought a Huawei 4G Router (B525s-23a). In my area (El Time), Vodafone offers good mobile coverage so i have a Vodafone.es PAYG sim card that gives me 40GB data, unlimited calls every 4 weeks for 20 euro. The unused data rolls over to the following month if you recharge within the 4 week period. Actually, its 25GB for 20 euro but they bundle an extra 15GB/month for summer and christmas promotions. Its fast enough to do everything i need and according to http://speed-test.es, gets 5/5 for web surfing, movies and calls but lower 3/5 for gaming. I was using it regularly for Amazon Prime movies with great results until that was kyboshed by something called Brexit Rolleyes  It might struggle with a family household of kids on-line but for a few users, it should be fine. The best part for me, is that i can take it back to UK when i need to and i use it seamlessly there so do not pay for 2 broadband contracts in 2 countries.
2 users say Thank You to roclite for this post
Reply Quote
Just adding a bit of info here. We recently had Movistar fibre installed (Movistar Conecta Max 600), replacing their ADSL service. We had some hassle for a few days getting it ‘switched on’, but it’s now working very well. We were getting at best 4 MB via ADSL, and now get around 280 MB. Even better, it’s about €20 a month less than we were paying, which seems crazy. I have a feeling the ‘600’ may be available on the peninsula, and that 300 may be the top limit here, so it may be better value to opt for the 300 package. I’ve not often sung the praises of Movistar, but our internet now is superb!
5 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  El Cotillo gets fibre optic broadband Cotillo_Tom 6 1,621 12-04-2021, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Cotillo_Tom
  Fibre Optic - La Oliva municipality TamaraEnLaPlaya 3 784 09-03-2021, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Can the Man
  Fibre Broadband in El Cotillo Cotillo_Tom 17 1,961 09-03-2021, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Cotillo_Tom
  Movistar broadband costs and packages Dougm 5 1,628 09-06-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Sir Real
  Is fibre available anywhere in Caleta? Can the Man 3 1,809 04-02-2020, 08:39 AM
Last Post: windermeregolfer