Hi , just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere. Stay safe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
tourists negative tests

Negative Tests for Tourists ?
The Canarian Government propose to get a law passed that will require tourists to have a negative test at their point of origin before arriving in the Canaries.

This story will develop over the next few days: https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts/can...ative-test
5 users say Thank You to Captain Sensible for this post
Reply Quote
IMO this is absolutely necessary to protect the Islands low numbers. No point in opening up to tourists if they are going to come from hot spots and bring the disease to the island
3 users say Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote
I'm watching the case since the beginning of the pandemic and can't believe how are the politicians trying to solve it. They simply want everyone being tested but don't want to pay for the tests.

Back in April: "every single passenger will get tested at the airport".  The airport: You'll supply the tests and pay for the personal and space. Scratch that.

In July: "tourists will have to be tested before flight to the islands". Germany: "that's great idea, they'll have to be tested before they leave the islands". Scratch that.

October: "we want passengers tested in Madrid". Madrid: "no chance".

Two days ago: "get the tourists tested at the hotel (¿reception?) and the hotel or tourist will pay for the test".

Now: "tourist won't be able to stay at hotel if they don't have a negative antigen test done in the past three days". Saga continues...

I think a test before flight should be compulsory. The possibility of getting infected on the plane, sharing the air with another 200+ people must be much higher than visiting a restaurant, shop or a local park/beach.
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
The problem is if you test negative the moment you get on the plane that can just mean the virus hasn't had enough time to grow. From the point you're infected to the point you test positive it can take days.
3 users say Thank You to Will for this post
Reply Quote
(27-10-2020, 07:23 AM)Will Wrote: The problem is if you test negative the moment you get on the plane that can just mean the virus hasn't had enough time to grow. From the point you're infected to the point you test positive it can take days.

The same applies if you'll get tested on the island. There's no perfect solution.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
I agree, Will, but I think it ist still better to identify at least some of the positive cases than none.
3 users say Thank You to Fabian for this post
Reply Quote
Quote:As Noticias Fuerteventura anticipated, tourists arriving in the archipelago will have to have a negative test, PCR or antigen test to be able to stay in an establishment in the archipelago. Regulated tourist establishments in the Canary Islands may deny access to tourists who arrive at their receptions without having a PCR done, an antigen test or equivalent.

The government is working on this decree and it is expected that it may be operational between one week and fifteen days.

The different legislative solutions proposed have had to “make use of” this formula that seems the most operative. At Check-in, in addition to having to provide the visitor's information with an identity document included, it will now be necessary to incorporate the results of a test carried out between 48 and 72 hours before.

The tests will be paid by the traveller, whether they undergo the test in their country or if they arrive at the reception of their hotel without it, and from there they are referred to a health centre, clinic or laboratory in the Canary Islands to have it done.

At yesterday's meeting, everyone finally agreed, employers and unions, and councils, unanimously supported the decree as a way to control the Covid in the islands.

“We do not force it to be tested, what we do is encourage them, which is different because we have no competition to force it. Turning it around, we find this option in the Canary Islands legal framework ”, he indicated.

Peninsular and Canary Islands

In this sense, it will not be about the origin of the traveller, the simple condition of having to stay is the one that forces to bring proof of being free of COVID 19. Therefore, both foreigners, as canaries as the rest of the inhabitants the state must bring the proof to stay.

In addition, as he pointed out, it is expected that few tourists will arrive at the reception without the PCR or test since there will be two previous controls.

Waiting for AENA

On the other hand, it is still expected that AENA will provide facilities for those tourists who arrive without a test to the archipelago, the Canary Islands “cannot wait any longer”, as the President of the Government, Ángel Víctor Torres pointed out yesterday, the Executive will install some tents abroad to perform them.

But on the other hand, Minister Castilla stated that "we cannot count on these infrastructures at the moment but we are going to move forward with the skills we have"

The Government of the Canary Islands plans to take this decree law to the government council on Thursday for approval. Today it is scheduled to be analysed by the commission of technical secretaries so that it can be legally endorsed.

https://www.noticiasfuerteventura.com/fu...r-efectiva
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
So presumably this doesn't apply to absent homeowners returning (since they won't be presenting at hotel/accommodation receptions?)
3 users say Thank You to Robbo for this post
Reply Quote
(27-10-2020, 10:47 AM)Robbo Wrote: So presumably this doesn't apply to absent homeowners returning (since they won't be presenting at hotel/accommodation receptions?)

Depends on the airport owner:
Quote:On the other hand, it is still expected that AENA will provide facilities for those tourists who arrive without a test to the archipelago...
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(27-10-2020, 10:47 AM)Robbo Wrote: So presumably this doesn't apply to absent homeowners returning (since they won't be presenting at hotel/accommodation receptions?)

This is an interesting question. We managed to get out of our small London flat to our place in Fuerteventura for six weeks in July and August. At the time we were very aware that we were travelling from a a place with higher COVID rates and did a voluntary two week quarantine at our house after arriving in Fuerteventura (we did go for some local walks but didn't interact with anybody).

We're hoping to go back out again for Xmas and New Year so keeping a keen eye on any entry requirements that might be put in place. Like many others I think some sort of checking needs to be put in place - otherwise I'd really worry about the resulting COVID rates. That should include arrivals from mainland Spain by the way. Surely there should be enough experience across the Canary Islands after all these months as to what would be reasonable entry requirements to keep the local population safe? As Sam alluded to in another post - the challenge seems to be who is going to organise and pay for the required tests?
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
4 users say Thank You to Rome77 for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Total number of tests taken in the Canary archipelago Sam 39 4,097 06-11-2020, 09:15 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  The quarantine of foreign tourists will be lifted in July 2020 Sam 2 642 26-05-2020, 03:02 PM
Last Post: McAdam