Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
reliable movistar alternative internet

Reliable alternative to Movistar internet?
We are in Caleta de Fuste, Campo de Golf, and have had Movistar ADSL Internet, through ‘copper’ fixed line for the near six years since we moved in. Although our service is for up to 10mbs, it rarely exceeds 3. I can just about live with this, but repeated problems over the past couple of weeks have made me want to review what we could now get instead. (Dropping out completely, no ‘Internet’ light on router. In response to phone calls and emails it returns for a few hours then goes again. New router installed, no change. Just gone again today, engineer will, apparently, call to arrange a visit..... and we just continue with no internet other than phones!)

Are there any other ADSL providers? How good nowadays are non-fixed line alternatives? We do need a service that supports watching tv via iptv (although cannot watch HD with Movistar signal!)

Fuerte WiFi have warned that our location in a geographical dip might be difficult for them, but I’ve asked them to have a look. Any alternatives recommended? I’d also consider a 4g router, but have a feeling they still don’t work too well for streaming...unless anyone knows better? Cost isn’t the issue, I am paying a fortune to Movistar already. Oh, I have checked, and fibre is not yet available on our bit of the golf course, sadly!

Any advice borne of experience would be hugely appreciated - thanks in advance!
2 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
Best to wait, 5g will be a real sea change
4 users say Thank You to Zapparocks for this post
Reply Quote
(14-01-2020, 12:06 AM)Zapparocks Wrote: Best to wait, 5g will be a real sea change

It would be nice to have 5g by the sound of it, but given that fibre has still not reached us in this urbanised area, I won’t be holding my breath! Dodgy
2 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
(14-01-2020, 12:06 AM)Zapparocks Wrote: Best to wait, 5g will be a real sea change

Has anyone a time scale on this? Having said that I allegedly had a 5G connection about 6/8 months ago from Tiekom, absolute waste of time.
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
Well it's not technology at fault as 5g can reach 20gig in a sec and now 6g will supercede even that

They could just be throttling the bandwidth which as far as I understand with recent EU net neutrality laws is mostly illegal
1 user says Thank You to Zapparocks for this post
Reply Quote
Movistar’s contractors installed fibre at our house on September 2 and we are pleased with it.  We are in Caleta half way up the hill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2 users say Thank You to Perrypower1 for this post
Reply Quote
(20-09-2021, 08:26 AM)Perrypower1 Wrote: Movistar’s contractors installed fibre at our house on September 2 and we are pleased with it.  We are in Caleta half way up the hill

We have had Avatal installed some time back, it is excellent anything between 60 and 120 Mbps and we live near enough opposite Perry.
Do not confuse my personality with my attitude my personality is down to me, but my attitude depends on you!
2 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
I understand Avatel are having major problems again? I keep toying with switching from Movistar to save on monthly charges, but a good internet service is important to me. I get a consistent 250 Mbps from Movistar at all times of day, which I’d not want to lose!
Reply Quote
(29-09-2021, 12:14 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: I understand Avatel are having major problems again? I keep toying with switching from Movistar to save on monthly charges, but a good internet service is important to me. I get a consistent 250 Mbps from Movistar at all times of day, which I’d not want to lose!

It would appear that way, we were getting between 80/120Mbps, which is more than sufficient for ou needs, but of late we are lucky to get 40/45Mbps, Avatel and I will be discussing this in the morning Rolleyes
Reply Quote
(29-09-2021, 12:44 PM)Johnrgby Wrote:
(29-09-2021, 12:14 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: I understand Avatel are having major problems again? I keep toying with switching from Movistar to save on monthly charges, but a good internet service is important to me. I get a consistent 250 Mbps from Movistar at all times of day, which I’d not want to lose!

It would appear that way, we were getting between 80/120Mbps, which is more than sufficient for ou needs, but of late we are lucky to get 40/45Mbps, Avatel and I will be discussing this in the morning Rolleyes

OK, I failed to get to Avatel,s office so I emailed them, see transcript:-

"From to Avatel 13:00
I have been a customer since July 2021 and am contracted to receive 300Mbps, this has never been achieved the best speed we have ever achieved is 160Mbps, but an average of 80/90 Mbps which was sufficient for us, unfortunately, this only lasted until late August sine when we are only getting between 40 and 50 Mbps this is unacceptable, and we intend to cancel the contract as you are unable to meet thee terms you are contracted to

Reply 15:12
Dear customer,
Concerning the problems you report us about the speed of your internet service, we inform you that your connection´s reports show that everything works according to the service you hired. Therefore we would need you to perform speed tests following the instructions below:
  1. Use a computer (desk PC or laptop) when running the speed test connected by LAN/Ethernet cable to the router/ONT. Do NOT use a mobile phone or tablet because there can be several applications running in the background.
  2. Make sure there is NO other hardware connected to your internet when running the speed test. The only hardware with an internet connection must be the computer that you are using at the moment.
  3. Shut down any other website or program (e. g. Skype, etc.) that are open during the speed test.
  4. Use a local website to run the speed test such as www.fast.com .
  5. After accessing the web, the test Will start automatically.
  6. After it finishes, press on “Show more details”.
  7. Reply to this email by pasting a screenshot of the test with all the data available.
We remind you that in case we have to send a technician to your home. He will be responsible for verifying the origin of your incident. If this is for reasons beyond AVATEL, the customer must pay the technical visit costs (€ 50 + VAT).
Best regards
I cannot paste the screenshot on here but it showed 63Mbps

From Avatel 15:12

Quote:Dear costumer,

We see you have your PC connected by Wi-Fi. Please connect with an Ethernet cable. To verify the real speed you receive the speed test has to be done with an Ethernet cable.

In case you are connected by Wi-Fi we inform you that on 2.4GHz network you will receive maximum 100Mbps. If you want faster internet you must connect to 5G network, this one allows you more than 100Mbps.

From me 15:41
Quote:Why then are you advertising 300Mbps?? This has to be illegal under European law.
Quote:From me 15:50
further to my previous email,  there is no mention of limits or 2.4 GHz {which I have no idea what that is} or in your advertising or contract. if what you are telling me is correct please explain why I achieved the following speeds
31/7 120.02
4/8 101.42
7/8 105.81
10/08 135.25
18/09 107.85
and since 20/09 it is in the range 45 to a maximum of 60, all with the same computer using the same wifi???
I will; cancel my payments and wait to see you in court when you try to claim non-payment.

Since when there has been a deafening silence

From me 10:30 Today
I will assume your refusal or inability to answer my question further proves either your explanation was pure fantasy, or you are not providing the service, either way, it is further documented evidence of the fact that you are advertising a service you can not provide?

We await developments   Rolleyes
Be warned Guys
5 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Neighbour refusing to let movistar attach my cable hugh 4 890 10-05-2021, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zapparocks
  Movistar - change in price Perrypower1 1 739 06-01-2021, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Dougm
  Movistar broadband costs and packages Dougm 5 2,082 09-06-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Sir Real
  Movistar off line all day Cotillo_Tom 3 1,664 12-03-2020, 08:13 AM
Last Post: TrickyFox
  An alternative internet option McAdam 6 2,029 07-02-2020, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Pete Garyga