This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
tax island— purchase insurance ownership costs

Ownership costs on the island— tax, purchase, insurance?
(08-08-2023, 09:42 PM)Ducks Wrote:
(06-08-2023, 08:35 AM)windermeregolfer Wrote: The VAT rate is calculated as a sixth of the profit margin. It's passed on to the customer in the price of the car, but not itemised on the purchase invoice as it would be were they buying a new car. VAT on the selling price Some dealers may charge VAT at 20% on the price of a used car.

So the price quoted on AboutCars is the total price you'll end up paying?

I'm also wondering it it would be possible to do a long-term rental for a couple of months until something becomes available that we'd actually like to buy versus feeling forced to buy something we're not totally happy with due to stock limitation and timing.

Anyone ever done anything like that before? Do you think any of the rental companies might be more or less receptive to doing a deal for a two- or three-month rental?

Ducks just to clarify the 2 quotes I made relate to VAT in the UK.
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
3 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
(09-08-2023, 04:57 AM)Cotillo_Tom Wrote: With Aboutcars.es the price you see is the price you pay, unless you request some additional equipment or service.  

Car hire firms will do up to three months rental.  More than 3 months is a bit more difficult.  However, don't go looking for a special deal because you are renting for three months; it's not unusual out here, and whilst you might get a tiny bit of discount, nothing massive will be offered.  

Tom.

So this includes the second-hand car tax, or this is something that has to be paid separately?

Understood about the monthly rentals! Will shop around for deals before heading back this year, thank you.
2 users say Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
I repeat, with Aboutcars.es, the price advertised on the website is the price you pay, total. Unless you fancy trying to negotiate a discount!!

Tom.
3 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
With AboutCars you can tell Wieberen what you are looking for (Make/model/age/price range) and he will look on the other islands for you so you aren't restricted to what he has on his website.
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Another vote for Aboutcars. RCars in Puerto are also very good, but tend to go for upmarket models, think the cheapest I have seen there is about €7k.
2 users say Thank You to Bill for this post
Reply Quote
(09-08-2023, 09:30 PM)Goliath Wrote: With an obscene mark up!

You are always free to start a business and provide your services at a lower price than AboutCars. This is how the free market works in favor of the customers.
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(09-08-2023, 07:12 PM)Cotillo_Tom Wrote: I repeat, with Aboutcars.es, the price advertised on the website is the price you pay, total.  Unless you fancy trying to negotiate a discount!!

Tom.

Thanks for that— wasn't sure if that could/would include the taxation side of things.

I'll certainly try my arm at a discount, but we'll see how that works out. Big Grin

Also greatly appreciate the option to inquire about other options. Will be going there first when we get back to the island.

...Which I hope will be very soon; I miss it! Appreciate all responses. This forum really is an invaluable resource.
1 user says Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
Just to add to the previous comments, I bought two cars from Wieberen at About Cars shortly after we moved here. He did not have what we wanted in stock so he met with us over a coffee and took extensive details of our ‘must haves’, ‘nice to haves’, ‘must avoids’, then over the next couple of weeks he cam back to us with possible options. All were being offered on various ‘Autotrader-type’ sites, so I could see the prices being sought while he gave me his all-in price. In other word, he was completely open about his costs and margins. Two he suggested, I liked the look of, but he had them looked at by a contact in the Peninsula and advised against. In the end, he found the two very different cars we wanted in Madrid. He had them inspected then travelled over personally to complete the deals there and bring them to the island. His service included everything, all paperwork, and he even organised our insurance. Both cars were ‘as new’ after he prepared them, and we still have both.

There are other good dealers such as R-Cars and Orvecame (ex-rentals), but About Cars do go the extra mile.
5 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
We have now purchased two cars for use in Fuerteventura. Both came from Gran Canaria Main Dealers. The first we collected ourselves at a total cost of 101 Euros, the one Euro being the cost of transporting the car and the second was delivered to Rosario on the ferry by the seller at no additional cost.

The second car bought in November 2020, was a 2019 Fiat Panda Lounge with 15,000 kms on the clock and cost 6495 Euros. We sourced it on https://www.coches.net/segunda-mano/

The procedure was straightforward on both occasions and the garages concerned have facilities in Fuerteventura should there be any mechanical/warranty issues. I would hazard a guess that we saved a combined sum in excess of 6,000 Euros on the vehicles. This actually offers the possibility of buying in Gran Canaria, driving in Fuerteventura for 2 or 3 years and selling for more locally.
3 users say Thank You to Grampiangranny for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New car purchase Chic and Chelle 6 703 23-04-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Cotillo_Tom
  UK car insurance 14yew 4 3,925 09-06-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Cotillo_Tom
  Car Purchase willie5094 8 7,874 20-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Grampiangranny