This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
licence spanish exchange uk driving

Exchange from UK to Spanish driving licence
Read this on facebook,  thought it may be of interest to some

A Royal Decree was published by the Spanish authorities on Friday 1st March 2019 to explain what will happen to the validity of Driving Licences after 29th March 2019 - "Brexit".

Within section 4, the purpose of Article 22 is to find an adequate alternative for citizens residing in Spain and holders of a British driving licence, which is currently valid for driving in our country as it is a permit issued by a Member State of the European Union, but that will cease to be so with the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.i

For this, a transitory period of nine months has been set, during which the holders of a driving licence issued by the British authorities who have acquired their residence in Spain may exchange their driving licence for a Spanish permit, in accordance with the regulations in force in terms of Tráfico, which will allow them to continue driving in our country, despite the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, during this transitional period of nine months, this exchange will be possible as long as the current system of verification of driving licences established within the European Union is maintained, since if it were not maintained, it would no longer be possible to exchange driving licences issued by the United Kingdom.

After that nine-month period, driving licences issued by the British authorities would be subject to Spanish regulations for driving licences issued by third countries, and the exchange for a Spanish licence will no longer be possible until, in a future, a bilateral convention for the exchange of driving licences with the United Kingdom will be signed.

For the purpose of exchanging driving licences issued in other Member States or in third countries, Articles 18 and 21 of the General Drivers Regulations, approved by Royal Decree 818/2009, of May 8, require holders of the permits have established their official residence in Spain, a concept that is defined in the second additional provision of the aforementioned Regulation.

Article prepared and translated by Torrevieja Translators on behalf of the N332 Page
2 users say Thank You to Si Tie for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks Si Tie. That's confirming the date Captain mentioned earlier.

It would be nice to see the UK and EU signing some king of agreement before the end of the transitional period but I wouldn't count on that.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Sorry I didn't realise it had already been covered.
2 users say Thank You to Si Tie for this post
Reply Quote
(07-03-2019, 04:37 PM)Si Tie Wrote: Sorry I didn't realise it had already been covered.

Don't be sorry. It's great to see more sources of the news.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
We went through the ‘Canje’ process in Tráfico a couple of weeks ago, did all the paperwork and paid, but at the end we’re given back our UK licences and told we would be called back in once our details had been checked with DVLA. Applications had reached a level where Tráfico simply could not do the confirmations ‘live’ on the DVLA system. The next working day we each received emails saying the same thing, that once our details had been checked with DVLA we could make a further appointment to collect the temp licence, taking in our UK licences. Knowing that others a week or so earlier had obtained their paper copies on the spot we were a little concerned, but others, including friends who had used gestores/advisors, confirmed they too had had their UK licences returned, and were waiting to hear from their gestor.

I’m just wondering if others on here are in a similar position? I’d hoped to have heard after a week or so. Has anyone had a second email calling them in yet? Would love to just get this sorted and out of the way!
2 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
(10-03-2019, 10:37 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: ...I’d hoped to have heard after a week or so. Has anyone had a second email calling them in yet?

A week is not really a long time period to sort anything out in Fuerteventura. Changing a driving licence on the island could take months in some cases.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
(10-03-2019, 10:37 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: We went through the ‘Canje’ process in Tráfico a couple of weeks ago, did all the paperwork and paid, but at the end we’re given back our UK licences and told we would be called back in once our details had been checked with DVLA. Applications had reached a level where Tráfico simply could not do the confirmations ‘live’ on the DVLA system. The next working day we each received emails saying the same thing, that once our details had been checked with DVLA we could make a further appointment to collect the temp licence, taking in our UK licences. Knowing that others a week or so earlier had obtained their paper copies on the spot we were a little concerned, but others, including friends who had used gestores/advisors, confirmed they too had had their UK licences returned, and were waiting to hear from their gestor.

I’m just wondering if others on here are in a similar position? I’d hoped to have heard after a week or so. Has anyone had a second email calling them in yet? Would love to just get this sorted and out of the way!

We opted to go back in to collect ours as our post is not reliable.  We were handed back our UK license too.  I do wonder if those who had their UK license taken from them and received a temporary one, had opted to receive their license by post, thus they had to give up their UK license then and there.
2 users say Thank You to FuerteventuraNow for this post
Reply Quote
Sorry, driving licences again! It’s now over three weeks since we went through the process in Tráfico, we still have our UK licences, and have had no further messages from Tráfico. I’m wondering if I have misunderstood the emails we, and a friend I helped a few days later, have received? The text of the short message was:

Quote:Una vez recibida la validez de su permiso de conducir de Reino Unido, puede solicitar cita cuando desee para esta Oficina Local de Tráfico de Fuerteventura (tfno. 060 o web www.dgt.es) y así terminar los trámites de su canje del PC británico por el PC español.

Now, I can read and understand Spanish OK, and I interpret this as ‘once validation of your driving licence is received from the UK, you can make another appointment to complete the transaction etc’. I’d assumed a second message will follow when that validation is done. However, I’m getting a nagging feeling that this may be implying I should make the further appointment now, on the assumption that validation will have been received, and I will not receive further messages..... I don’t want to sit waiting like a lemon wondering what is going on.

Has anyone else received a second email, phone call, or just made a further appointment at Tráfico?
1 user says Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
Never been in this situation but I would book another appointment and pop in to make sure they do carry on with the exchange.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
What it says is once you have received the validation of your UK driving licence, strange indeed.
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
1 user says Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Driving licence exchange willie5094 0 221 05-11-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: willie5094
  Driving Licence Fiasco Joy Division 48 7,812 12-04-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: gravi
  UK driving license petition tigga1958 0 2,310 29-05-2022, 09:06 AM
Last Post: tigga1958
  Renewing Spanish Driving Licence - over 65s TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 2,697 05-05-2022, 09:12 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Driving Licence Exchange tigga1958 4 3,832 29-12-2021, 06:28 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya