This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
fibre cotillo broadband

Fibre Broadband in El Cotillo
Anyone actually managed to get Fibre installed in El Cotillo?

Here is my experience:

Got a phone call from a Movistar Agent in early August, did I want to upgrade from ADSL to Fibre (Fusion #0).  Yes, I said, but not before the end of the month as I'm on holiday. 

Mid-August: We are ready to install tomorrow. No thanks, I'm not in Cotillo until the end of the month. 

Text: install 25th August between 9 and 12. 

25th August: About 10 am, phone call from engineer, not attending today as system not ready yet. He was here 3 days previously to install for a neighbour, so knew it wasn't ready. 

26th August: Text message,  install 9th October between 11 and 1. 

10th September: Text message: install 16th October between 9 and 11. No one arrived, nothing further heard. 

25th September: Text message: install about the 15th October

26th September: Phone call, it is not possible to install fibre in El Cotillo. 

27th September: checked my order online, it has been cancelled!

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has experience or even got it installed. I'm at a loss to understand how they have spent so much Money installing fibre cables all over Cotillo but now say they can't install into any properties. 

Tom. 
Frustrated Customer in El Cotillo.
3 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
Quick update:

My formal complaint to Movistar appears to be getting some attention (formal complaints are handled by head office in Madrid).

Have an engineer booked for tomorrow,  Saturday 10th October,  to resolve the issue with the box in the community communications room and then another engineer booked for Saturday 17th to fit my fibre cable. (That's our understanding of the four calls we have had, all in Spanish).  If we got it right, the box that was fitted back in June was not installed correctly. 

Will post further as it progresses. 

Tom.
4 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
There's something the engineer has to do in the box outside when switching between ADSL and fibre. Can't honestly recall what it is, sorry. To add/take some switch or extra relay or something else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Still, mention to the guy that you currently have ADSL only, he might be able to fix it for you.

Good luck 🤞🍀💻
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Finally today, Movistar completed the first installation of fibre optic broadband in El Cotillo, in my house!

It has taken much longer than I ever expected, bearing in mind I was given that the first installation date I was given was Mid-August

Current speeds are 621 Mb download and 506Mb upload. However, as I'm the only domestic customer currently connected by fibre, I am expecting it to degrade slightly when others move over to fibre in the future. It can't be compared to my previous ADSL which averaged 3.5 download and 0.12 upload!!!

Anyone else in Cotillo can now upgrade to fibre either over the Internet or by calling 1004 (Spanish language only), or visit the shop in Corralejo. 

Tom.
2 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
Well done Tom, I'm so jealous 🤣
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Congrats Tom, glad to hear El Cotillo is finally on the fibre map 🙌🙌🙌🎉🎊⚡💻⚡
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
Tom well done such perseverance, those are fantastic speeds are you sure you haven't missed out a decimal point? on our fibre here in Windermere this morning I am getting Download 38.9Mbps and Upload 8.3Mbps and never had more than 49.0Mbps Download
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
2 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote
(20-10-2020, 07:07 AM)windermeregolfer Wrote: Tom well done such perseverance, those are fantastic speeds are you sure you haven't missed out a decimal point? on our fibre here in Windermere this morning I am getting Download 38.9Mbps and Upload 8.3Mbps and never had more than 49.0Mbps Download

There's many fibre customers in Caleta already and Tom is the first one in El Cotillo. This alone could make a massive difference as internet companies tend to heavily oversell their connection.

Also, not a decimal point but people (especially internet providers like to) confuse megabits with megabytes.

Megabit - Mb

Megabytes - MB

Each megabyte is made up of 8 megabits. 50MBs is the same as 400Mbps, so keep an eye on that B.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
Here is a screenshot. 600Mb is what they advertised. 

3 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
(20-10-2020, 07:07 AM)windermeregolfer Wrote: Tom well done such perseverance, those are fantastic speeds are you sure you haven't missed out a decimal point? on our fibre here in Windermere this morning I am getting Download 38.9Mbps and Upload 8.3Mbps and never had more than 49.0Mbps Download

But that will be FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) and the Cabinet can still be quite a distance to your house to cover with copper cable.
At one time we were only getting 14Mbps until they patched into a closer cabinet when it jumped to 40Mbps.

In Fuerteventura they're installing FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) so they will have fibre, presumably theoretically capable of 1Gb (1000Mb) (or higher) right into the house.

I watched the installation of the fibre into our urbanisation in Caleta: fibre to each cabinet, which in our case is 1 every 3 houses. Presumably then the fibre is patched from there through the existing phone duct into the house.

Of course what the backbone network can provide must wait to be seen once more customers come online.
3 users say Thank You to jimbews for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antigua municipality - fibre optic TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 199 09-01-2024, 08:06 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Internet provider, not fibre. Cotillo_Tom 2 652 12-11-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Grampiangranny
  Fibre and phones out in El Cotillo Cotillo_Tom 1 386 03-10-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Cotillo_Tom
  Fibre Optic - La Oliva municipality TamaraEnLaPlaya 29 10,492 29-06-2022, 02:43 PM
  El Cotillo gets fibre optic broadband Cotillo_Tom 6 5,633 12-04-2021, 08:24 PM