Hi , just a reminder of mandatory masks almost everywhere. Stay safe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
trees growing fuerteventura fruit

Growing Fruit Trees on Fuerteventura
(10-04-2021, 12:33 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: What type of fruit are you thinking of growing?
I've just bought 2 coconut trees and they'll be fine once their roots get going.
Some fruit trees are more vulnerable than others.

Having seen what you have bought previously, we are thinking. Lemon, Fig, Avocado, maybe clementine and possibly a nut for starters.
1 user says Thank You to TrickyFox for this post
Reply Quote
Avocado is a bit tricky, it does need to be protected from the sun when still young, but if you check on the net you will find a plethora of videos and information. I attached a couple of pictures (trees are not mine) so that you have an idea. I think figs and olive trees are a good option. In my area the locals use two layers of palettes placed vertically to form a 90 degrees angle (for stability) to protect the young trees from the wind. Others use dry bricks in a circular way around the plant. I recently purchased two little olive trees bought at the garden centre for €2.80 each. Yes, they are small but I'm not in a rush. Plus I bought two almond trees which I planted close to a wall so that they can get protection from the northerly winds. I'm not using any form of protection, just stakes. It may be just a matter of luck, we see how it goes. Another good option for this climate may be apricot trees. Keen to hear Tamara's advice, she's been here for much longer.

To be honest, I wouldn't plant anything after the end of this month, I think it gets too hot and trees may not have enough time to acclimatize.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1 user says Thank You to GMT for this post
Reply Quote
I agree that figs and olives are a pretty good bet here.

I've never grown avocados so I can't comment on those.

A lot of people in my area also use the 2 pallet method for protection against the prevailing wind.

I've recently planted a quite tall Australian Almond, without protection, staked, and the existing leaves are holding well and new ones developing.

I planted an Apricot tree today. Not sure it's going to survive as when I removed it from it's pot it only had one small root. It's staked and I immediately completely surrounded it with shade cloth and put a layer over the top as well:

[Image: IkuVTOD.jpg]

Citrus: I've planted about 10 trees over the last 6 months. All have been staked but none have specific individual wind protection. I weighed the pros and cons and decided to let them take their chances. Some citrus trees in other gardens in Tindaya have pallet protection, some don't, all seem to fruit well. Most of mine lost a lot of their existing leaves and some trees have had a bit of dieback, all but one look to be recovering. I think we had a calima just at the wrong time. However, if I had provided protection from the prevailing wind it would have served no purpose during a calima which is normally from the opposite direction. I was advised to water them from the depuradora system but my system doesn't extend to that area of the garden - I'm trying to work out a good fertiliser regime. I have concerns that our desal water from the mains contains little or no calcium and magnesium so I'll try to supplement that. I really need to get a full analysis done with a testing company to know what I'm actually dealing with. (I've been reading online reports about the quality/composition of desal water in Israel who are big users of desal.)

Nectarine - I've done the prep and will be planting it tomorrow. I've constructed a kind of pergola with a shade netting roof for protection from the midday sun. I'll see how it goes, I may be able to/hope to, remove this shading after the first year.

Blackberry (thornless) - not sure where it's going yet. No point in one with thorns as it would rip itself to bits!

Overall, if you can provide some wind protection I think you should do well but do remember that the wind also cools the plants so don't wrap them up so well that they bake! Make sure the ground drains well - you need to attain a happy median where the ground is moist and the roots never dry out, without them getting soggy!

Good luck and let us know what you plant and how it goes.
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Bought a Kaki (persimmon) tree today, and a Mano de Buda! What's one of them when it's at home? Well I had no idea but I was fascinated by the picture of its' fruit, so here goes!

[Image: KuNaBfm.jpg] [Image: ntYSVGl.jpg]

Purchased from the Agrayco stall at Tetir market, collecting from the shop in Puerto on Monday as my car wasn't parked very close to the market today.
Living my dream
2 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Tamara, it’s called Buddas hand, I’ve seen it feature on Masterchef Australia on several occasions, from what I can remember it’s a citrus fruit.
Reply Quote
Yep, thanks Can. I was able to read the Spanish label so I knew what I was getting, just teasing forumers 🤣🤣 Picked the tree up today and it looks very healthy  Fingers Crossed
Living my dream
1 user says Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Will be interesting to hear how you get on with it when it fruits Tamara
1 user says Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Growing Orchids on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 17 2,282 19-02-2021, 10:25 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Coconut Palm Trees Tropical Palms Gary 2 200 19-02-2021, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Tropical Palms Gary
  Growing Palms on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 3 346 27-12-2020, 08:38 PM
  Growing Pineapples on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 30 4,948 17-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Growing Mangoes on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 11 1,311 11-09-2020, 10:47 PM