This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
growing fuerteventura mangoes

Growing Mangoes on Fuerteventura
It went happily into the pot (15" high, 6" across). Layer of grava in the bottom, then Happy Plants' 'Happy Mix', then molida on the surface. I'll keep it shaded for a week and then gradually introduce it to more sun and wind.
More need potting up now ........
[Image: ysmBhaz.jpg]

WMG - the hole is already dug (JCB), it's going in my new banana bed with 2 Canarian bananas as opposed to my Cavendish banana which really gets too tall for our windy spot. 
Just waiting for my Majorero helper to recover from a knee injury so he can assist me with the heavier jobs like barrowing soil and shifting rocks. He's a sweet old boy, doesn't understand a word of English but we chatter away with my basic Spanish. He's fascinated by 'English' food - he lives on his own so when I've been baking I often give him something to take home: banana bread, key lime pie, cornish pasty, Christmas cake, scones etc. He calls me Tamarita   Big Grin . I took him with me to Oasis Garden Centre one time to pick up a bag of something or other and they were out of stock - he really laid into them on my behalf - along the lines of how dare they not have what his Tamarita needed! Sorry, I've digressed  Rolleyes .
Living my dream
6 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
I've been potting up some more young mango plants, love the way the leaves change from bronze to green.

[Image: qtmFub6.jpg] the green leaf one was potted up on the 6th, the bronze one today.

[Image: 10C3YEY.jpg] [Image: mBVzEzh.jpg]  this is what it looked like in the jar. Root headed left and down, shoot headed right and up. For scale, these are the large jars that kidney beans etc come in from Mercadona.
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Well, I managed to loose all the mangoes that I had grown from seed, not quite sure why, but they gradually all succumbed. I was in two minds anyway about planting them in the garden after being told their fruit probably wouldn't be true to the original. So today I bought two trees from Agrayco at Tetir market (has shop in Puerto). Am keeping them in half shade while I acclimatise them and have sprayed their leaves with a kaolin solution as extra sun protection. They are grafted trees so hopefully will produce nice fruit.
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Growing Fruit Trees on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 38 13,568 10-06-2022, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Can the Man
  Growing Orchids on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 28 10,303 10-03-2022, 11:05 AM
Last Post: GMT
  Growing Palms on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 3 2,936 27-12-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Growing Pineapples on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 30 11,847 17-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sam