This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
growing fuerteventura mangoes

Growing Mangoes on Fuerteventura
I buy mangoes from Fran and Chemi from time to time when the price is reasonable, less than 3€ a kilo, one to eat fresh and the rest for making chutney. I refuse to pay the 5/6/7€ that Mercadona charge. When i was in our local bar a week ago a Majorero came in offering his home grown mangoes for 2€ a kilo, well I couldn't resist! And they were the best mangoes I'd ever tasted, maybe because they hadn't been chilled? So a few batches of chutney later I was left with a pile of stones/seeds and thought I'd give it a try at growing them myself as this was obviously a variety that liked growing here. I had no idea how to start but a few YouTubes later I was ready to go. However the videos also warned that the variety probably wouldn't come true, for that I would need grafted rootstock. I was hooked on the idea though so decided to still give it a try - I have room in my garden for a couple of the trees that these would hopefully become.

If anyone else fancies giving it a try I would recommend having  a look at YouTube for the prep and methods.

[Image: Sv6jnWw.jpg] [Image: pIUS2v9.jpg] [Image: h6uDuLQ.jpg]

I started them off on 13th August and 5 days later I have a root on the first one!

[Image: z4QFB4u.jpg]

All the rest have indications that a root is about to emerge:

[Image: cC9Wmp3.jpg]

A good start, just another 6 or 8 years until I might get my own fruit  Rolleyes
Living my dream
6 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Great stuff Tamara, I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours. If anyone can do it you can 👍🏼
3 users say Thank You to Can the Man for this post
Reply Quote
The one in the lead is going great guns and it looks as if the shoot is about to break out  Thumbs Up

Little root on most of them now.

[Image: f5aTzxn.jpg]  [Image: yBtrtDX.jpg]
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
I love mango chutney with chilli in it.
Do you know if a lemon tree/bush will grow in Fuerteventura? 
Mrs G would like to grow a small lemon tree if it's possible when we get out there next.
Loving it  Cool

3 users say Thank You to Pete Garyga for this post
Reply Quote
My mango chutney blows your head off🤣
Lemons, most citrus, grow well here given the right conditions. Buy the trees at Happy Plants or Oasis garden centre or the Cabildo place at Pozo Negro if you can find it open!
I've got planting holes excavated ready for planting oranges and limes (not keen on 🍋) but I'm waiting for the heat to ease off a bit before planting. Most important is good drainage.
Living my dream
Reply Quote
We grow lemons, oranges, limes and grapefruit. And we're in a really windy spot.

Down in the valley they grow like weeds and twice as fast!!

Good luck with the mangoes, Tamara.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2 users say Thank You to Archer for this post
Reply Quote
Hooray! The shoot popped out and unfolded today on mango no.1:

[Image: ttTZR4v.jpg]

Typing 'mango number 1' put the song 'Mamba number 5' into my head and now I can't shift it  Wink
Living my dream
6 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
[Image: qQE6QZl.jpg]

Mango number 1 growing well. I'm going to plant it in a deep but narrow pot shortly so the tap root can continue developing. Hopefully I'll be able to get it in the ground in a couple of months time.
Living my dream
Reply Quote
...growing well and really fast. Thanks for the update.
I Heart Fuerteventura
2 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Tamara at the rate that tap root is developing when you plant it out in the garden in a couple of months you will one hell of a deep hole to dig🤗🤗
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
3 users say Thank You to windermeregolfer for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Growing Fruit Trees on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 38 13,640 10-06-2022, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Can the Man
  Growing Orchids on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 28 10,324 10-03-2022, 11:05 AM
Last Post: GMT
  Growing Palms on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 3 2,952 27-12-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Growing Pineapples on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 30 11,867 17-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sam