This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
social naturism media

Is social media killing naturism?
All of us who visit naturist beaches can't help noticing that the average age of naturists is increasing.  The young naturists are few and far between.  Is this the result of the explosion of social media in the last few years, with associated photos (often PhotoShopped) of beautiful bodies?  

There's a theory that young people have become so obsessed by social media that they're unwilling to strip off on the beach, as they think their bodies are less than attractive.  How stupid is this?  In most cases, they are in far better shape than the old wrinklies (and I include myself in that category!).

My wife & I usually go to Vera Playa in summer, and the beach is very family-friendly so we see lots of Spanish families there (sometimes 3 generations).  The younger children are happy to be naked, but many of the older children stay dressed and look at their smartphones.  It's worrying.

What do you think?
3 users say Thank You to bedouin for this post
Reply Quote
I think you are probably right bedouin. Maybe not directly social media as such but certainly due to the increase in celebrity status & wannabe look alike & all that goes with it. Sad to say that it is even more of a problem when they are all stuck on their phones 24/7 & that is all they seem interested in.
Not that I have ever tried the naturist thing. I personally would not be comfortable out in public, although I do wander around naked at home a lot of the time when we are out there (much to my wife’s disdain, lol)
1 user says Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:21 PM)Spitfire58 Wrote: I personally would not be comfortable out in public, although I do wander around naked at home a lot of the time when we are out there (much to my wife’s disdain, lol)

If you're on a naturist beach, you're with like-minded people who aren't at all judgemental.  In 30 seconds you'd be comfortable!
3 users say Thank You to bedouin for this post
Reply Quote
(04-11-2018, 05:33 PM)bedouin Wrote: All of us who visit naturist beaches can't help noticing that the average age of naturists is increasing.  The young naturists are few and far between.  Is this the result of the explosion of social media in the last few years, with associated photos (often PhotoShopped) of beautiful bodies?  

There's a theory that young people have become so obsessed by social media that they're unwilling to strip off on the beach, as they think their bodies are less than attractive.  How stupid is this?  In most cases, they are in far better shape than the old wrinklies (and I include myself in that category!).

My wife & I usually go to Vera Playa in summer, and the beach is very family-friendly so we see lots of Spanish families there (sometimes 3 generations).  The younger children are happy to be naked, but many of the older children stay dressed and look at their smartphones.  It's worrying.

What do you think?

I don't think it's the social media alone. If we're talking about teenage kids they feel ashamed because their bodies "aren't perfect" - whatever that means.

Of course, there's the worry that somebody will post pics of them naked online but the older generation is worried too - complaining about the drones buzzing above the beaches, being interested in the extra skin... So I would say, not the social media as the technology killing the naturism a tiny bit.

But again, if I'm not ashamed about my look then I shouldn't care less if the pic will appear on FB. And if people want to get naked but still worry about it? Cover your face. Not many people will recognise you without seeing your face too.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
(04-11-2018, 08:13 PM)Sam Wrote:  Cover your face. Not many people will recognise you without seeing your face too.

Smile
1 user says Thank You to bedouin for this post
Reply Quote
Yes even in our own back garden or on our roof terrace drones are becoming a nuisance, only this evening kids in a rental villa 4 down from us had a drone up over our villa  Angry Angry
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
Reply Quote
(04-11-2018, 08:17 PM)windermeregolfer Wrote: ....only this evening kids in a rental villa 4 down from us had a drone up over our villa  Angry Angry

What were you doing???? Rolleyes
Reply Quote
(04-11-2018, 08:18 PM)bedouin Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 08:17 PM)windermeregolfer Wrote: ....only this evening kids in a rental villa 4 down from us had a drone up over our villa  Angry Angry

Maybe you shouldn’t ask  Confused Dodgy Dodgy
3 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
(04-11-2018, 08:18 PM)bedouin Wrote:

On my second glass of wine but 30 minutes earlier they may have caught me having my early evening naked swim   Wink Wink
John T - Dreaming of A Hole In One  Smile
Reply Quote
I wouldn't worry about the drones, the "kids" will probably edit you out anyway. If you want to worry about somebody watching you naked in your own garden just think about the googlemaps for a second. I know, I know the image quality isn't that great. BUT, they use the same quality as it used to be 10 years ago. In 10 year time the technology went a huge step up.
Google is just a tiny company but what about other subjects, like country/countries. How many pics of yourself could be taken daily without you knowing?  Huh Big Grin Big Grin
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corralejo mid July naturism report Fizzy Lemonade 0 5,801 20-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Fizzy Lemonade
  British Naturism (BN) - worth joining? bedouin 2 5,999 12-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bedouin