This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
what’s latest charges bank

What’s the latest on bank charges ?
Hi All,

Unfortunately after three years of fee-free Banking with Bankia I am faced with large fees from mid November so need to make alternative arrangements. Like many non-residents I only need an account for DDs with Comunidad, electricity (Endesa), water (CAAF) and council taxes (La Oliva). I can manage cash in other ways.

I have just opened a Wise account so now have my Belgian IBAN and am aware of IBAN discrimination being illegal in the EU but I am also aware that some institutions do not recognise this.

Simple question, has anyone successfully moved over to Wise and away from a Spanish IBAN ? I suspect Endesa will be okay but I am less sure about CAAF. As for the other two, if need be I will simply close my Bankia account and pay monthly community fees and annual council taxes manually. It is the two utilities that are my main concern.

Thanks for any replies.

FVM
2 users say Thank You to FVmouse for this post
Reply Quote
I had trouble (but not too much) getting Endesa to accept Wise. Haven’t tried CAAF yet, emailed them a few times but no response so I guess it’s a trip to the office next time. We are in Antigua area & know they will only accept a Spanish bank for IBI/Basura DD, tried them with Revolut & it was a NO but not tried them with Wise yet. Just paid in cash on last visit.
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for the info.

Regarding Endesa, will you please say a little more about your experience. 

Three years ago I went to the Endesa office in Puerto to change DD from Sabadell to Bankia and it went smoothly. The office looks like a shop on one of the main shopping streets, take a ticket and wait your turn....

Did you go to the same place and why the initial reticence to change things for you ? What did you say to change their minds ?

Frustrating about Antigua council. You would think a public body would know their obligations under EU law to accept all EU IBANs equally.

Thanks again.
Reply Quote
We're using Revolut / Starling only and were told at the Caleta town hall we can't use UK IBAN to pay DD but they were happy to provide an account number to send the payments to. It's just once a year, not a big deal and better that paying €200 yearly charges for the privilege to have a Spanish bank account.
I Heart Fuerteventura
1 user says Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks for that info. Who supplies your water and electricity and can I take it that these two are both okay with a GB IBAN ? Like you I will drop my council DD if necessary and pay it myself when it falls due each year.
Reply Quote
I didn’t go into the Endesa office. I did it all online from the U.K. I started off trying to add new bank details to the app but it would not accept Wise details so connected with the chat service. Guy I spoke to said it “should” have been ok but he would sort it out. Got an email within 24hrs saying new bank details accepted & it’s been paid ok for the last few bills. HTH
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
Great info. Much appreciated. Fingers crossed when I visit in person in early October.
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ATM charges ... Wise, Starling, Halifax Clarity FVmouse 0 1,481 04-12-2022, 02:20 PM
Last Post: FVmouse
  UK Private pensions paid direct to Spanish bank account - charges! TamaraEnLaPlaya 1 1,955 03-10-2022, 08:44 PM
Last Post: classic
  Which bank is best for Corralejo? Bill 12 5,528 15-04-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Santander Bank Corralejo jdeefd 7 5,545 01-01-2021, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Pandali
  Bank ID verification letter mark5075 9 9,311 21-09-2020, 09:20 AM
Last Post: beachlife