This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
where squash butternut

Where to buy - Butternut Squash?
Can anyone suggest where (in the north of the island) I can buy Butternut Squash?

Looking to make some heartwarming soup, but not seen any in Mercadona or Hyperdino etc.

TIA

Tom (in Cotillo)
1 user says Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
If you don't mind the bus trip, I think I saw some in the Biosphere market (Saturday morning, above the bus station in Rosario).

But they might just have been display ones
2 users say Thank You to hairybiker for this post
Reply Quote
Hi Tom
I'm not sure about the current squash status, as I am knee-deep in snow here in the West Country, but just before Christmas the HiperDino on the outskirts of Cotillo had plenty in with the fruit rather that in the veg aisle.

GF
2 users say Thank You to Gone Fishing for this post
Reply Quote
Seems to be the most abundant vegetable in all supermarkets!  Is in HiperDino in El Cotillo and Lajares at the moment. It is called calabaza in Spanish
2 users say Thank You to LNBTS for this post
Reply Quote
You can get them in Fran Y Chemi opposite the ITV centre in Mattoral
2 users say Thank You to 14yew for this post
Reply Quote
(01-02-2019, 02:05 PM)LNBTS Wrote: Seems to be the most abundant vegetable in all supermarkets!  Is in Hiperdino in El Cotillo and Lajares at the moment.  It is called calabaza in Spanish

I always thought calabaza is any pumpkin in Spanish, not just Butternut Squash. Not an expert (pumpkin nor Spanish language) here; at all.
I Heart Fuerteventura
Reply Quote
Courtesy of SpanishDict

la calabaza (f) (broad term for any type of squash) 

Could you please pick up a butternut squash at the store?

¿Podrías comprar una calabaza en la tienda?
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
1 user says Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote
My problem has been solved, thanks to all the advice and tips folks .

I found some in Hyperdino in Corralajo this afternoon, so after Moviestar call in the morning, I shall be busy making Butternut Squash and Chilli Soup.

Thanks again .

Tom.

2 users say Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote