This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
line pay permanent internet cheap need as without

Cheap pay as you go internet without need for permanent line
Just an option if you haven't considered it before

I use my phone as a 4G hotspot with a Spanish sim which on a 6 year old Xperia gives me 3 meg download, with you tube turned down to 360 kps it's a good picture which is fine for me, not to mention emails, watts app and surfing

Though often some think using your phone means you have to surf on your phone but using the hotspot on the phone you can log onto it with pc, laptop or anything else

After digging I'm thinking of swapping to a pay as you go, 17 euro a month with 90 gigabyte limit but you can add more at 3.20 euro a gig if needed but really shouldn't be needed for a single person

Top tip if you're in Spain with a Spanish card remember to turn on data roaming, it can give you more speed without any cost since roaming charges don't apply here

Here's the cheapest I could find

https://xenet.es/movil-planes
4 users say Thank You to Zapparocks for this post
Reply Quote
Tried again now and got nearly 6 meg
2 users say Thank You to Zapparocks for this post
Reply Quote
(12-10-2021, 02:40 PM)Zapparocks Wrote: Just an option if you haven't considered it before

I use my phone as a 4G hotspot with a Spanish sim which on a 6 year old Xperia gives me 3 meg download, with you tube turned down to 360 kps it's a good picture which is fine for me, not to mention emails, watts app and surfing

Though often some think using your phone means you have to surf on  your phone but using the hotspot on the phone you can log onto it with pc, laptop or anything else

After digging I'm thinking of swapping to a pay as you go, 17 euro a month with 90 gigabyte limit but you can add more at 3.20 euro a gig if needed but really shouldn't be needed for a single person

Top tip if you're in Spain with a Spanish card remember to turn on data roaming, it can give you more speed without any cost since roaming charges don't apply here

Here's the cheapest I could find

https://xenet.es/movil-planes

This is great, but please note that some carriers are wise to this and charge additional fees for internet usage on secondary devices/hotspot use vs on-device usage. Even if that usage falls under the monthly allowance that you pay for.

Always read the fine print to make sure there is no additional fee for tethering/hotspot usage, or that it isn't restricted or prohibited in some way. Mobile phone companies are experts at extracting the €€€ from you at every possible turn! 

I think this has generally been phased out, but it always pays to check.
1 user says Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
I had talked to many operators and all knew exactly what my set up was, none mentioned any extra charges nor did I get any, after all the mobile hotspot is only used to transmit wifi to other devices and nothing else

Maybe other operators do charge but never seen any with mine
3 users say Thank You to Zapparocks for this post
Reply Quote
Just an update, I was about to change from my operator Masmovil, which I've had for over ten years when I thought to give them a call

Early in the morning a particular girl I was speaking to wasn't about to offer me any better deals nor sort a smaller problem I was having, so I gave up and had decided to change.

But later in the afternoon thought I would try for different operator and as luck would have this operator knew of a new deal which is available to all new customers in the shops

Masmovile now offer 10 euros a month in cash from a supermarket or credit card and pay as you go with no contract, unlimited locals free, reasonable tariffs abroad and 20 gig internet data, you can top up further for smaller amounts of data with the Masmovil app or on it's website or and I haven't checked this for everyone but I can add a full 10 euros if I need it, though this requires a helpline call which is normally a short wait if using the dialpad options as asked when you call

The other issue mentioned above with sharing any mobile hotspot is limitations on sharing and although I can't see any mention of it in the terms and doesn't apply to me since I'm single, it's bound to have limits on other users. Otherwise some may rent out their line to others, which is a reasonable precaution on their part

It's been some time since I first joined them but for me the first sim card only required the usual ID, it was given to me in the shop and cost 10 euros but had 10 euros in credit so essentially free, speed is 4G which after checking right now is about 6meg but can vary due to others usage on your network. The main operator is Orange but can also connect to Movistar towers
Reply Quote
A further update after looking at digimobil.es they're much cheaper than the above
Reply Quote
Not sure where this belongs.
 There is a new vodaphone shop in Corralejo (down from 5 oceans) (or I have not noticed it B4)
Vodaphone signal for us in Cotillo is VG
1 user says Thank You to DavidP for this post
Reply Quote
Hi David,

It depends where you are in Cotillo!  Down my end, vodafone reception is absolute rubbish. I originally had the Vodafone 4G router and despite trying to locate the router in every possible place in ours, never ever got anything more than would send an email.  Despite numerous calls, the only advice given was "take the sim card out, wipe it, put it back again"!!

It cost me a few quid to get rid oof it, but it was worth every cent!!

So, my advice is with any mobile company, ask your neighbours who they use and what's the signal strength before you buy. 

BTW, Movistar and Digimobil signal is brilliant down this end of Cotillo (around Marfolin area).

Tom.
1 user says Thank You to Cotillo_Tom for this post
Reply Quote
I checked and digimobil is a virtual provider using the Movistar network so should have good coverage, the same as Tesco Mobile uses the O2 network in the UK.
I think I'll try them when we're next on the Island,  FuertePhone is a reseller in Corralejo near Rock Island Bar.
Loving it  Cool

1 user says Thank You to Pete Garyga for this post
Reply Quote
Hi Tom ,
if you must live in the posh end of town.
3 users say Thank You to DavidP for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starlink internet Bill 5 199 27-03-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Internet provider, not fibre. Cotillo_Tom 2 609 12-11-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Grampiangranny
  internet access Si Tie 6 862 16-08-2023, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Grampiangranny
  Triquivijate internet options? Ducks 3 1,525 29-12-2022, 01:32 PM
Last Post: windermeregolfer