This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
trees growing fuerteventura fruit

Growing Fruit Trees on Fuerteventura
I know we have touched on this before in several threads, including the Gardening one, but I found 2 other sources of fruit trees today so I thought it might be useful to have a dedicated thread. Not everywhere has all varieties, all the time, you have to be prepared to visit several places, several times, to get what you're after.

The Experimental Centre at Pozo Negro (same site as FEAGA) . Current opening not known. (Good quality, tough plants, hardened to FV conditions, sometimes limited selection, very affordable.)

Happy Plants at Tefia. Weds - Sun, 9am - 5pm. (Good quality tough plants, hardened to FV conditions, affordable.)

Vivero 'El Charco'. C/Reyes Catolicos 28, Puerto del Rosario. 9am - 1.30pm and 5pm - 7pm. Not sure of days. Painted sign on white wall, doesn't look like a shop, more like a private  garage entrance. (Selection of trees and plants inc young veg and herb plants)

Agrayco Garden, C/El Cosco 33, Puerto del Rosario. (Next to a business called Spine) Difficult to find, look for the stair entrance to a double wide household decor shop - the plants are on the stairs and just inside the door! (Quality Fruit trees, cactus and succulents, has stall at Tetir Craft market) M-F 9am-2pm and 4pm-7pm. Closed weekends.

Agricolas Virgen de la Pena, C/Secundino Alonso 71, Puerto del Rosario. Hours not known but def mornings. (Very good quality fruit trees, also the place to get garden chemicals and other essentials. A no-nonsense Majorero shop.)

Fuerteventura Garden Centre (Oasis) Junction of Puerto del Rosario ring road and FV10. Open all day every day. Found the limited selection of fruit trees a bit tired, perhaps the end of a batch. There is the parent garden centre at the Zoo of course. Current opening unknown there.

Baba's in Corralejo, opposite the Football Stadium. Previously I have bought some fairly decent stuff here but my last visit was disappointing. Perhaps they were due to restock. Seem to be open all day, most days.

If anyone can contribute up to date opening info I'll be pleased to amend the info above so it can be viewed in one place. Also very happy to add other outlets that stock fruit trees.

Any comments, questions, ideas etc related to growing fruit on Fuerteventura can be discussed below. Happy Growing!
Living my dream
7 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Purchased 1 month ago at Tetir from Agrayco: 1 beach cherry.

Purchased 1 week ago at Tetir from Agrayco: 1 mandarin.

Purchased at Agricolas 2 weeks ago: 1 lime.

Purchased today at Agricolas: 3 oranges, 1 clementine. Friend bought lime, lemon, orange.

Purchased today at Vivero El Charco: Friend bought nectarine.

Purchased today at Agrayco: 1 beach cherry.

On the rounds today of 3 places I also saw: avocado, mango, various plum, apple, pear, pitahaya, kumquat, fig, nespero, bananas, strawberries and some others I can't remember.
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(10-12-2020, 11:15 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: Any comments, questions, ideas etc related to growing fruit on Fuerteventura can be discussed below. Happy Growing!

Thanks for the advice Tamara; I’ll pop down to the ones in Puerto sometime. I may plant a few fruit trees in the coming months although I suppose it’s not the easiest thing to carry out and maintain here in Fuerteventura given the wind, lack of precipitations and poor soil. I think I’ll start with a lemon tree but in a big pot. At present I’m trying to salvage the existing neglected plants that I found, especially yuccas and palms. I’ve been breaking the super compacted soil with a pickaxe, it’s so dry about 10 inches below the surface. I need tons of top soil and compost. What kind of mulch do you use for the fruit trees? Grava? I suppose using straw is useless because of the wind.
1 user says Thank You to GMT for this post
Reply Quote
Hi GMT
Yep, I came to the conclusion that Grava was the best for mulch because of our conditions.  What I am trying though is having a mini compost pot sunk down in each fruit bed with a handful of worms in - there is cabra poo mixed in the planting mix and I feed the compost/worm pots every couple of days. My hope is the worms will pull the decomposing matter through the soil, aerating and feeding as they go, feeding at the pot rather than the surface! Alternatively I have thought about scraping the grava back a couple of times a year, adding some fresh compost from my main bin, and recovering with grava. May do a combination of both.
Having said all that there are plenty of  fruit trees in Tindaya that don't look as if they get much attention at all except for an occasional prune and they seem to fruit just fine!

Don't forget any citrus will probably need a boost of iron, something severely lacking in our soil. I put rusty nails, offcuts of hierro (rebar) in the planting holes and use hierro as stakes (covered in old hosepipe).

[Image: W660Cwt.jpg] [Image: y55YKge.jpg] [Image: NAYOgZf.jpg]

I am new to growing citrus, so my method is only a suggestion, yet to be tested!
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Thanks Tamara, the pictures are very helpful. I'll follow your tips. At present I'm trying to make some compost myself, we will see how it turns out. So far in the garden when digging I haven't seen a single worm, but come across plenty of snails instead.
2 users say Thank You to GMT for this post
Reply Quote
(12-12-2020, 06:54 PM)GMT Wrote: Thanks Tamara, the pictures are very helpful. I'll follow your tips. At present I'm trying to make some compost myself, we will see how it turns out. So far in the garden when digging I haven't seen a single worm, but come across plenty of snails instead.

No earthworms live here naturally!

I bought some compost worms and they are doing really well in my compost bin. Happy to pass on a handful for adoption.

This is a handful of compost I took out today as a starter kit for one of my new fruit trees:

[Image: aXhZBGd.jpg]

I'm holding off doing any more compost pots for my new fruit trees though as I suddenly remembered that I'd added a chemical to the soil to kill any cutworms and other soil pests. I'm concerned in may affect these worms. I'll leave it a couple of weeks and see how they do.
Living my dream
Reply Quote
Rayco from Agrayco in Puerto messaged me to say he had got hold of a nectarine tree for me and a peach for my friend, so off we went. He had got a new large selection of the more unusual fruit trees in, see pics below. He had also picked up something special from his supplier, especially for me, knew I wouldn't be able to resist (he's got to understand me really quickly!) -  a RED banana!! JCB booked for next week to dig next series of holes ...

[Image: mlFjZCm.jpg]

[Image: KAmjHsD.jpg] [Image: SbRzyNd.jpg] [Image: hwhil50.jpg]

[Image: PKW3j6o.jpg] [Image: TWOP4vA.jpg] [Image: cPELl7C.jpg]

[Image: W3cTaA8.jpg] [Image: Tm9zFpz.jpg]

[Image: odxIyPk.jpg]

If anyone sees a persimmon/kaki/caqui tree for sale please let me know.
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(12-12-2020, 11:46 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 06:54 PM)GMT Wrote: Thanks Tamara, the pictures are very helpful. I'll follow your tips. At present I'm trying to make some compost myself, we will see how it turns out. So far in the garden when digging I haven't seen a single worm, but come across plenty of snails instead.

No earthworms live here naturally!

I bought some compost worms and they are doing really well in my compost bin. Happy to pass on a handful for adoption.

This is a handful of compost I took out today as a starter kit for one of my new fruit trees:

[Image: aXhZBGd.jpg]

I'm holding off doing any more compost pots for my new fruit trees though as I suddenly remembered that I'd added a chemical to the soil to kill any cutworms and other soil pests. I'm concerned in may affect these worms. I'll leave it a couple of weeks and see how they do.

I'm happy to report that the worms in question are fat and happy! I'll be doing more compost pots for my other new fruit trees tomorrow.
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Seen this week in Oasis Garden Centre:

[Image: kKI3a9v.jpg] the wiki entry on this is very interesting (to me!) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atemoya

[Image: UPOfkkO.jpg] [Image: 5wuM84c.jpg] [Image: cv43tqD.jpg]

and Coffee!
[Image: sTRKJyT.jpg]

They also had some pineapple plants with baby fruit.
Living my dream
5 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Loads of blossom on a Suriname Cherry that's waiting to go in the ground!

[Image: N98WAwr.jpg] [Image: aYLo8Ai.jpg]

Managed to get 2 orange trees and a mandarin planted today  Thumbs Up

Tomorrow we start building a frame/pergola type thingamy for the nectarine. Using some old wood from a pergola that was replaced by an extension several years ago.

Still need to plant another orange, couple of different cherries, red banana, mulberry. The 2 mangos will be planted in around 6 months - I've grown them from seed and I don't think they have enough root yet.

Pics to follow in a few days when bulk of planting done.
Living my dream
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap trees from the Cabildo from 4th April 2022 TamaraEnLaPlaya 6 2,797 06-04-2022, 11:07 AM
Last Post: GMT
  Growing Orchids on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 28 10,173 10-03-2022, 11:05 AM
Last Post: GMT
  Almond trees in bloom TamaraEnLaPlaya 0 2,078 28-02-2022, 10:06 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Growing Mangoes on Fuerteventura TamaraEnLaPlaya 12 6,231 13-02-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: TamaraEnLaPlaya
  Coconut Palm Trees Tropical Palms Gary 2 3,311 19-02-2021, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Tropical Palms Gary