This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
with ehic issued reciprocal fv residents cards s1 british healthcare

EHIC cards issued to British FV residents with S1 reciprocal healthcare
People with these EHIC cards will be aware that they are issued by Newcastle, not Spain. The current ones are valid until the end of the year. If you require one for future use in other EU countries (not Spain) they are now available to order online at Gov.uk. Very simple online process:

https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/cra/start
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Our new cards turned up in the post today  Thumbs Up 
Valid for 5 years.
Living my dream
3 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
Current EHIC cards will now be honoured by Spain until their expiry dates. Ours last until June 2024. Thumbs Up
2 users say Thank You to Grampiangranny for this post
Reply Quote
https://www.staysure.co.uk/2021/01/ghic-...08d201291a

EHIC/GHIC explanation.
4 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
I have never quite got to the bottom of whether you can use a UK ehic here for emergency use if you are a resident here, but are still registered with the NHS. Obviously you still need your private insurance for non emergency treatments. But is it actually 'illegal' to use one? If so, is this from a Spanish perspective or a UK perspective?
1 user says Thank You to Adrianb for this post
Reply Quote
Basically if you are resident here I don't think you should be registered with the NHS. The NHS is a residence based system so if you're not resident in UK you shouldn't be registered with them!

Three kinds of EHIC cards (or the new alternatives):

1. Issued by UK to Spanish residents who have registered on the Spanish Health System using an S1 reciprocal agreement. Normally retired people, some students, some dependents. For use outside of Spain in the listed countries, mainly EU.
2. Issued by Spain to Spanish residents who are registered on the Spanish Health System by way of work contract, legally self-employed etc and their dependents. This does not include people registered in the Spanish system using the Convenio. For use outside of Spain in the listed countries, mainly EU.
3. Issued by UK to UK residents for them to use when travelling/on holiday to the listed countries, mainly EU.

My take on it, perhaps others know differently!
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
(03-02-2021, 10:39 PM)TamaraEnLaPlaya Wrote: Basically if you are resident here I don't think you should be registered with the NHS. The NHS is a residence based system so if you're not resident in UK you shouldn't be registered with them!

Three kinds of EHIC cards (or the new alternatives):

1. Issued by UK to Spanish residents who have registered on the Spanish Health System using an S1 reciprocal agreement. Normally retired people, some students, some dependents. For use outside of Spain in the listed countries, mainly EU.
2. Issued by Spain to Spanish residents who are registered on the Spanish Health System by way of work contract, legally self-employed etc and their dependents. This does not include people registered in the Spanish system using the Convenio. For use outside of Spain in the listed countries, mainly EU.
3. Issued by UK to UK residents for them to use when travelling/on holiday to the listed countries, mainly EU.

My take on it, perhaps others know differently!

This is also very much my understanding of how it works, but I would add that should we as residents here return to the UK  for a holiday, we are entitled to access to the NHS, in addition, should we need any kind of procedure IE an operation of any kind we can choose to return to the UK to have it done.
To me drinking responsibly means do not spill it.
3 users say Thank You to Johnrgby for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NHS treatment in UK for Spanish residents Emmi Smith 5 5,279 08-01-2020, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Spitfire58
  Travel Insurance info for Dutch residents erik_tonny 9 6,353 23-08-2019, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sam