This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
bankia close account

How to Close a Bankia Account ?
Hi, with the recent increase in monthly charges, it's time to say goodbye to my current account with Bankia. I can't see an obvious way on their website to do this and was wondering if I had missed something ? I'm stuck in the UK at the moment, so a visit to the local branch isn't an option.  I don't want to just withdraw the balance and forget about it as no doubt Bankia will find a way to rack monthly charges up and hit me with a bill at some future date. The only payments I haven't managed to reroute are the 2 annual AYUNTAMIENTO DE ANTIGUA payments so any advice on how to change my payment details with these would be appreciated also.  Many Thanks.
2 users say Thank You to SamT for this post
Reply Quote
It is not possible to change these to a non Spanish bank account (I have already tried) I was also trying to get away from the Spanish account as well due to charges. Managed to move our levy bill to my Revolut card but Antigua will not allow anything but a Spanish account. My next step was to cancel rhe DD & have them email me a bill. Have to do the same with CAAF water bill & then good to close Spanish account. It costs in the region of just under 200€ a year to keep it open !!
2 users say Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
On the on line Banking of my Spanish bank, I have an option to cancel any DD or other regular payments.  there is a list of my payments and a tick box to stop any future payments. Although if you have opened a new account with another bank then surely they do all those payment arrangements as part of the service, cancelling them from the old bank to the new account?
3 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
(21-05-2020, 02:05 PM)SamT Wrote: Hi, with the recent increase in monthly charges, it's time to say goodbye to my current account with Bankia. I can't see an obvious way on their website to do this and was wondering if I had missed something ? I'm stuck in the UK at the moment, so a visit to the local branch isn't an option.  I don't want to just withdraw the balance and forget about it as no doubt Bankia will find a way to rack monthly charges up and hit me with a bill at some future date. The only payments I haven't managed to reroute are the 2 annual AYUNTAMIENTO DE ANTIGUA payments so any advice on how to change my payment details with these would be appreciated also.  Many Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Sam and congratulations on your opt-out decision. As Ron said, 200-ish euro a year is just too much. We closed our account (Sabadell) and are using Revolut & Starling accounts instead.

I don't think you've missed anything, you'll possibly have to wait until this all is over and then pop to Bankia branch and close the account personally. If you have a join account, you both will have to be present - at least we had to. Had to show our passports and the card plus sign the termination and take the cash we had in the account - minus some extra fees (obviously Big Grin ).

We've tried to set the Ayuntamiento de Antigua DD's in the tourist centre in Caleta but it was NO GO. Apparently "the new system" will support it. Once the time of paying bills came, we've received an email directly from the council. Paid the bills straight from Revolut/Starling and the only think we're missing is the (5%?) discount for not using DD as a payment method. Not a big deal and much cheaper than paying the fees to the bank.

Yes please, don't just withdraw all of your Money as they will keep charging and chasing you even if it's unethical. They are a bank after all  Angry

Sorry for the bad news RE closing the account online. You can still give it a shot and contact Bankia online: https://www.bankia.es/en/personal-banking Just scroll down, you'll find a button named "Write to us".

Note: Don't forget to download all statements (as pdf) to your computer. Once the account is terminated, you'll lose the access to your (online) account. Good luck and keep us posted, please.
I Heart Fuerteventura
3 users say Thank You to Sam for this post
Reply Quote
Thank-you all for the worthwhile advice and guidance, especially, keeping a PDF history which no doubt will be required at some point.  Hopefully, I can also save some time with my  Ayuntamiento de Antigua DD's when I get back to Fuerteventura. I set up a (free) non - resident Irish account a year ago, as, even before the latest charges, the service I was receiving from Bankia was dreadful on a number of occasions.  I’ve been looking at some SEPA direct debit guidance  https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/news/no-geo-blocking-on-sepa-direct-debits-rules-eu-court  . It’s somewhat confusing but, overall it would seem to direct Spanish Institutions to allow DD’s from any EU country although I’ve not so far been able to set one up in Fuerteventura.  If it’s still not possible an Emailed bill as Ron mentioned would be almost as good. Finally, If I can return the favour with one tip I haven’t seen mentioned here – an option for fee free ATM cash – unfortunately restricted to Santander UK customers – users of Santander 123 /Zero accounts incur no charges from Euro denominated withdrawals from any Santander ATM in Spain. I’ve used this  in Caleta and Corralejo – always the genuine rate of exchange and no charges whatsoever.
4 users say Thank You to SamT for this post
Reply Quote
Quote:" My next step was to cancel rhe DD & have them email me a bill. Have to do the same with CAAF water bill & then good to close Spanish account"  ( Spitfire8)

So spitfire8, how did you pay it upon receiving the bill by email?  Do they provide their bank details so you can do so from any other type of account incuding a UK one?
1 user says Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
Haven’t done it yet. We were out in January when I sussed out they (Antigua) would not use a non Spanish bank account but got caught up in the worldwide lockdown situation so haven’t done anything yet. I was going to go in and arrange with the council on our next trip (whenever that will now be 🤣😂)
1 user says Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
I believe it is possible to pay through any account though as a BACs transfer
1 user says Thank You to Spitfire58 for this post
Reply Quote
With La Oliva ayuntamiento bills the bill includes a website link to a payment system where you enter the ref off of your bill, confirm the amount and pay by whatever card you choose. If you pay promptly you don't incur the 5% increase that applies after a couple of months. I'm pretty sure this is not a 5% discount for paying promptly but a 5% surcharge if paying in the latter stage of the payment period!
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote
This works for IBI, Basura, car tax.
Living my dream
4 users say Thank You to TamaraEnLaPlaya for this post
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BBVA free banking account Cotillo_Tom 35 8,909 02-02-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Volcano
  UK Private pensions paid direct to Spanish bank account - charges! TamaraEnLaPlaya 1 1,887 03-10-2022, 08:44 PM
Last Post: classic
  Wise account or problem classic 6 4,305 05-03-2022, 06:46 AM
Last Post: classic
  Starling Bank - another free Euro bank account Sam 14 12,322 01-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Sam