This Fuerteventura forum uses cookies
This Fuerteventura forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this Fuerteventura forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this Fuerteventura forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Hi guest and welcome to the Fuerteventura forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
caleta buying

Buying in Caleta?
We have some family members who have been so charmed by the town that they're considering buying to come out to the island full time for their retirement. They are wanting a completely detached house (party walls is absolute dealbreaker), with at least four bedrooms and two bathrooms, though 5 beds/3 baths or more would be preferred. Inside space is a priority over outside space— in this case, bigger is better. They want to be in the town or on the golf course rather than up the hill or in Costa Antigua. A private pool would be nice, but not essential. 

I'd love to be able to give them some information, as well as experiences others have had with their housing in Caleta besides where we live ourselves. I have a couple of questions, and I'd really appreciate it if anyone had answers! 

1. What are things like on the Salinas Golf Course these days? I know they had some issues with squatters before, but is this still a problem?
  2. Is the undeveloped land in the Fuerteventura Golf Course likely to be developed soon? They'd be prepared to wait and build if this were an option.
  3. What is safety like on the golf courses generally? Burglary and such is a big concern for them.
  4. How possible is it to make alterations to existing properties up there?

If anyone can answer any of those questions or just has relevant experiences in general, I'd love to hear it!  Smile
1 user says Thank You to Ducks for this post
Reply Quote
At only Euros 1.2 million in Caleta close to seafront.....

https://carmenvillazan.com/en/premium/vi...-eng-2160/
2 users say Thank You to Emmi Smith for this post
Reply Quote
We live on the ‘old’ golf course rather than Salinas but have a number of friends on the latter. Squatters have been a relatively minor problem on the golf courses. With neighbours living here and even empty properties being regularly maintained, they are not such a good proposition. I know of two villas on Salinas and one on this golf course with long-term squatters, all owned by banks who don’t seem in any hurry to get them out. A villa maintained by a friend on our golf course was occupied recently by a couple of young lads. Forced entry with a crowbar, changed the locks etc, but the Policía Local supported the maintenance guy in turfing them out on the spot. We are all aware of the potential issue, vigilant, and share info, so not a major issue.

Re the vacant land, the strip along the bottom remains owned by Anjoca, whilst the large block entered off the Repsol roundabout is reputedly owned by a Chinese syndicate. Both will be developed when it’s commercially sensible, and the recent build at Pueblo Majorero seemed to sell pretty well. I don’t think any land would be released for private builds.

Re safety, we live on the ‘front line’, open to the course, but feel pretty secure. We had one incident last year where we interrupted someone about to try to climb in over our wall, but he was one of a small group responsible for a string of minor thefts locally, subsequently arrested and taken to court. No probs since then. Most of us have alarm systems, and vigilant neighbours, which helps. It also helps that there is only one vehicular access point into the Campo de Golf, same at Salinas, making it riskier for burglars etc. I’ve heard of no issues at all on this Campo over the past six months or so, although a few minor attempted break-ins have been reported on Salinas, empty properties.

Re building and alteration, it seems a great deal is permissible - it’s rare not to hear an angle-grinder going somewhere in the distance! I know of quite a few properties on both courses, including our own, which have been extensively modified and enlarged, no problem with getting permissions.

Hope that helps with some of your family’s queries?
2 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
(07-05-2021, 08:48 PM)Emmi Smith Wrote: At only Euros 1.2 million in Caleta close to seafront.....

https://carmenvillazan.com/en/premium/vi...-eng-2160/

How did we miss this one in our searches? What a gem. A little too spendy, I think, but amazing location. I know there's another in that "complex" I showed them, but it was a little too small for the price— they would prefer larger, even if the location was less stunning than this one. Thanks for showing it to me, anyway!
Reply Quote
(08-05-2021, 02:50 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: We live on the ‘old’ golf course rather than Salinas but have a number of friends on the latter. Squatters have been a relatively minor problem on the golf courses. With neighbours living here and even empty properties being regularly maintained, they are not such a good proposition. I know of two villas on Salinas and one on this golf course with long-term squatters, all owned by banks who don’t seem in any hurry to get them out. A villa maintained by a friend on our golf course was occupied recently by a couple of young lads. Forced entry with a crowbar, changed the locks etc, but the Policía Local supported the maintenance guy in turfing them out on the spot. We are all aware of the potential issue, vigilant, and share info, so not a major issue.

Re the vacant land, the strip along the bottom remains owned by Anjoca, whilst the large block entered off the Repsol roundabout is reputedly owned by a Chinese syndicate. Both will be developed when it’s commercially sensible, and the recent build at Pueblo Majorero seemed to sell pretty well. I don’t think any land would be released for private builds.

Re safety, we live on the ‘front line’, open to the course, but feel pretty secure. We had one incident last year where we interrupted someone about to try to climb in over our wall, but he was one of a small group responsible for a string of minor thefts locally, subsequently arrested and taken to court. No probs since then. Most of us have alarm systems, and vigilant neighbours, which helps. It also helps that there is only one vehicular access point into the Campo de Golf, same at Salinas, making it riskier for burglars etc. I’ve heard of no issues at all on this Campo over the past six months or so, although a few minor attempted break-ins have been reported on Salinas, empty properties.

Re building and alteration, it seems a great deal is permissible - it’s rare not to hear an angle-grinder going somewhere in the distance! I know of quite a few properties on both courses, including our own, which have been extensively modified and enlarged, no problem with getting permissions.

Wow, really thorough response, thank you so much!  Heart

The info about the empty land on the older golf course is very interesting. You're right that they won't be releasing them for private builds, I suspect! I think it might be enough to have some say in the construction, though— to get to choose materials and finishes, etc., rather than building something of their own design. That would be preferable to buying something less suitable, paying for completed construction, and trying to change things later. 

Good to know there haven't been too many problems with burglaries and occupations. The maintenance man who got help throwing out the squatters with the Police, did he work for the owners, or the golf course? Occupation/robbery is, of course, the greatest worry on the island— the only real worry, when you think of it. 

However, a friend of mine told me empty houses on the lower loop in the Salinas course are getting marked as "hotels" on Google Maps so squatters can find them more easily. That concerns me because the family coming out are older, so I would be worried about them feeling unsafe— both in the house, and when leaving it empty to go home for visits. I'm hoping this is just gossip or confusion? 

When you say there is no problem "getting permissions", do you mean from the golf course itself, or the town hall? A lot of the properties for sale specify that the registered build and the actual build are very different! Perhaps some people are just undertaking their works without consulting anyone?
Reply Quote
(08-05-2021, 03:39 PM)Ducks Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 02:50 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: We live on the ‘old’ golf course rather than Salinas but have a number of friends on the latter. Squatters have been a relatively minor problem on the golf courses. With neighbours living here and even empty properties being regularly maintained, they are not such a good proposition. I know of two villas on Salinas and one on this golf course with long-term squatters, all owned by banks who don’t seem in any hurry to get them out. A villa maintained by a friend on our golf course was occupied recently by a couple of young lads. Forced entry with a crowbar, changed the locks etc, but the Policía Local supported the maintenance guy in turfing them out on the spot. We are all aware of the potential issue, vigilant, and share info, so not a major issue.

Wow, really thorough response, thank you so much!  Heart

The info about the empty land on the older golf course is very interesting. You're right that they won't be releasing them for private builds, I suspect! I think it might be enough to have some say in the construction, though— to get to choose materials and finishes, etc., rather than building something of their own design. That would be preferable to buying something less suitable, paying for completed construction, and trying to change things later. 

Good to know there haven't been too many problems with burglaries and occupations. The maintenance man who got help throwing out the squatters with the police, did he work for the owners, or the golf course? Occupation/robbery is, of course, the greatest worry on the island— the only real worry, when you think of it. 

However, a friend of mine told me empty houses on the lower loop in the Salinas course are getting marked as "hotels" on Google Maps so squatters can find them more easily. That concerns me because the family coming out are older, so I would be worried about them feeling unsafe— both in the house, and when leaving it empty to go home for visits. I'm hoping this is just gossip or confusion? 

When you say there is no problem "getting permissions", do you mean from the golf course itself, or the town hall? A lot of the properties for sale specify that the registered build and the actual build are very different! Perhaps some people are just undertaking their works without consulting anyone?
Re the ejected squatters, the chap doing regular maintenance visits for the overseas owners called the Police, showed them that entry had clearly been forced, and insisted that he had checked the property less than 48 hours earlier. The Police persuaded the two lads to vacate, as much to avoid a ‘breach of the peace’ as anything! The place had been completely redecorated and refurnished a couple of weeks earlier, and after their brief occupation the bedding in every room and all of the towels had to be thrown, and redecorated again. It’s now secured like Fort Knox!

Properties are all now completely independent of the golf course, although Anjoca, the original builder and part of the Elba group, does maintenance on things like street lighting, pavements etc. They also repair any damage caused by golf balls, on request!

Permission for property extension etc is via the Ayuntamiento, not the golf course, and seems straightforward. Some get permission in advance, others just go ahead and pay a fine (which is the same cost as getting planning permission!) when they get found out. Happened to us when they checked properties against spec using a drone (yes, seriously!) a couple of years ago. Ours had been extended considerably before we bought it. They recalculated our catastral value, charged increased IBI going back four years and added a €70 fine! A fair cop, sadly, so just paid up!

A lot of properties on the golf course, most I would say, have alarms and cameras. A lot are full-time occupied too, and I think there are just ‘easier pickings’ elsewhere for the average low-life.
1 user says Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
(08-05-2021, 08:20 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: Re the ejected squatters, the chap doing regular maintenance visits for the overseas owners called the police, showed them that entry had clearly been forced, and insisted that he had checked the property less than 48 hours earlier. The police persuaded the two lads to vacate, as much to avoid a ‘breach of the peace’ as anything! The place had been completely redecorated and refurnished a couple of weeks earlier, and after their brief occupation the bedding in every room and all of the towels had to be thrown, and redecorated again. It’s now secured like Fort Knox!

Properties are all now completely independent of the golf course, although Anjoca, the original builder and part of the Elba group, does maintenance on things like street lighting, pavements etc. They also repair any damage caused by golf balls, on request!

Permission for property extension etc is via the Ayuntamiento, not the golf course, and seems straightforward. Some get permission in advance, others just go ahead and pay a fine (which is the same cost as getting planning permission!) when they get found out. Happened to us when they checked properties against spec using a drone (yes, seriously!) a couple of years ago. Ours had been extended considerably before we bought it. They recalculated our catastral value, charged increased IBI going back four years and added a €70 fine! A fair cop, sadly, so just paid up!

A lot of properties on the golf course, most I would say, have alarms and cameras. A lot are full-time occupied too, and I think there are just ‘easier pickings’ elsewhere for the average low-life.

Those poor people! After spending all that Money, for that to happen is just bloody awful. I hope they were at least well insured. 

Ah, I wondered about maintenance. I see some houses saying no community fees— is that true for them all, or only some?

I did hear about the drone thing! Did they go back to when you bought the property, or just picked a random figure? Unfortunate that you had to pay up, but a fair cop, as you say. Something to be aware of, at least. The majority of houses there are a bit smaller than they'd prefer, I think, so I suspect they'd want to extend a little if they bought. 

This would be in full time occupation rather than a holiday home, but I expect they'd still want to go home for visits and on holidays. Nobody wants to come back from a trip to discover they've been burgled, so I suppose an alarm is a must. Thanks again for all the insider information!
Reply Quote
(09-05-2021, 01:45 PM)Ducks Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 08:20 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: Re the ejected squatters, the chap doing regular maintenance visits for the overseas owners called the police, showed them that entry had clearly been forced, and insisted that he had checked the property less than 48 hours earlier. The police persuaded the two lads to vacate, as much to avoid a ‘breach of the peace’ as anything! The place had been completely redecorated and refurnished a couple of weeks earlier, and after their brief occupation the bedding in every room and all of the towels had to be thrown, and redecorated again. It’s now secured like Fort Knox!

Those poor people! After spending all that money, for that to happen is just bloody awful. I hope they were at least well insured. 

Ah, I wondered about maintenance. I see some houses saying no community fees— is that true for them all, or only some?

I did hear about the drone thing! Did they go back to when you bought the property, or just picked a random figure? Unfortunate that you had to pay up, but a fair cop, as you say. Something to be aware of, at least. The majority of houses there are a bit smaller than they'd prefer, I think, so I suspect they'd want to extend a little if they bought. 

This would be in full time occupation rather than a holiday home, but I expect they'd still want to go home for visits and on holidays. Nobody wants to come back from a trip to discover they've been burgled, so I suppose an alarm is a must. Thanks again for all the insider information!

Most of the ‘stand-alone’ properties like ours no longer have any community charge. Those that share facilities such as a communal pool do, mainly the apartments and duplexes at the top end.

When the Ayuntamiento or AT identify a change in property spec, they can go back up to four years. We had lived here five years, the changes were made during construction, so we just paid up for the four years. The first we heard was an embargo for €70 placed on our bank account by the Agencia Tributaria, and then almost €1000 in back-payments due when I went to pay the car tax! Nothing received in the post, of course. All square now, anyway. 

Yes, for anyone leaving a property empty, not living there, I’d say an alarm makes a lot of sense. Most now have internet connectivity, so you can see any movement etc on your mobile! Similarly, getting someone to look in once a week to keep the place looking tidy, doing the pool etc, checking for anything suspicious, is Money well-spent in my view. Plus, of course, getting on well with neighbours, giving them your number etc.
2 users say Thank You to gattaca66 for this post
Reply Quote
(10-05-2021, 03:21 PM)gattaca66 Wrote: Most of the ‘stand-alone’ properties like ours no longer have any community charge. Those that share facilities such as a communal pool do, mainly the apartments and duplexes at the top end.

When the Ayuntamiento or AT identify a change in property spec, they can go back up to four years. We had lived here five years, the changes were made during construction, so we just paid up for the four years. The first we heard was an embargo for €70 placed on our bank account by the Agencia Tributaria, and then almost €1000 in back-payments due when I went to pay the car tax! Nothing received in the post, of course. All square now, anyway. 

Yes, for anyone leaving a property empty, not living there, I’d say an alarm makes a lot of sense. Most now have internet connectivity, so you can see any movement etc on your mobile! Similarly, getting someone to look in once a week to keep the place looking tidy, doing the pool etc, checking for anything suspicious, is money well-spent in my view. Plus, of course, getting on well with neighbours, giving them your number etc.

Good to know about the communal facilities, thank you!

Amazing that they can send out a drone but not a letter.  Rolleyes Something to be watchful for, at least.

You're right about general security precautions of course. Just wanted some informed intel from the people living there!
Reply Quote
Well, it's once more that time of year when the family are looking to come out to visit and to again consider buying property here.  Big Grin

Anyone have any exciting updates on the state of things up in the golf courses? Has anything changed? Is the level of security/squatter occupation worse, the same, or better than earlier this year? Is anyone concerned about the potential for that new development of a water park and hotels in the blank space between the town and the Sheraton? I imagine that would impact the houses on the town side of the older golf course significantly if it went ahead?

Would appreciate any insight anyone has on these issues!
Reply Quote

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying items from IKEA AKA Rats! el caballo hambriento 21 6,627 24-08-2021, 11:03 PM
Last Post: Can the Man
  Buying Vs Renting Joe Average 9 4,515 24-08-2021, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Joe Average
  buying to rent jojochef 30 14,918 13-06-2019, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Robbo